Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Scoops serves up DIY ice cream

“I gotta slow down. I’m getting a brain freeze” said Chris Hanna while eating ice cream with his wife Lorie Monday at Scoops, 2850 E. Grand River Ave., after a 40-minute bike ride from their home in Haslett.

A local business allows customers of all ages to express their creativity and build a masterpiece — except the work of art may consist of crushed Reese’s Pieces, fresh raspberries and hot fudge. Or it could be a combination of broken Oreo chunks and a drizzled caramel, marshmallow topping.

At G S Scoops, 2850 E. Grand River Ave., customers compose their perfect ice cream sundae, made with their favorite toppings.

Scoops, as it is more commonly known around town, is a self-serve ice cream and frozen yogurt store. Customers fill a cup with their choice of ice cream or soft-serve yogurt. Numerous toppings await the customer to layer onto their ice cream sundae. Finally, they weigh it on a scale, said Mike Andriessen, manager and owner of Scoops.

“It gives the customer more freedom to do what they want for their ice cream, instead of getting (only a) little topping when they go (to) other places,” Andriessen said. “It’s one-of-a-kind, and I can’t think of any other place around here that does a self-serve topping bar the way we do.”

Only 8 Frozen Yogurt is unique to Scoops, drawing in many East Lansing residents and college students, part-time employee Ted Manko said.

“People come in (from) all over to get this type of ice cream,” he said. “But I think the amount of toppings we have — the candy toppings, the fudge, the peanut butter, the fresh raspberries — usually bring people back.”

Andriessen’s family purchased Scoops in 2003, but the business has been around East Lansing under other owners for more than 10 years, he said.

When Andriessen and his wife got married and moved to Michigan, his parents decided to buy the store, he said. But when his parents left for California, Andriessen volunteered to run the business.

“(I’m) not working for anyone,” he said. “That’s the nice thing. I’m my own boss. It’s great.”

The sale of gourmet popcorn was added to Scoops’ atmosphere when the family took over, hoping to bring in a little extra income over the winter, Andriessen said.

Scoops also caters, namely to sororities, businesses and pharmaceutical companies in the Lansing area, he said.

In the summer, outdoor concerts have been held in the parking lot, with local bands, such as the Kendal Strachan Band, Andriessen said.

Manko said he sees kids of all ages, including college students. A lot of families with little kids come in, too, he said.

“You see the little 1 and 2 year olds having ice cream for the first time,” Manko said.

Megan Belcher, an elementary education senior, said Scoops is appealing because it’s so different from any other ice cream place around.

“I like it because you can make your own sundae,” Belcher said. “You can pick whatever ice cream you want and whatever toppings you want.”

She said her favorite sundae to make when she goes to Scoops is peanut butter-chocolate ice cream with Snickers, Butterfinger, chocolate and sprinkles.

Rain or shine, the self-serve ice cream bar brings people back year after year, Andriessen said.

“Each one, like Cold Stone (Creamery), has their own set thing,” Andriessen said. “Every ice cream place has their own niche, and our self-serve ice cream bar is our niche.”

Share and discuss “Scoops serves up DIY ice cream” on social media.