Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Leaving their mark

Notable campus landmarks have been donations from senior classes of years past

Many of the stained glass windows of the Alumni Memorial Chapel were donated by past senior classes. The set of windows on the left and in the middle were presented by the class of 1954 and the set of windows on the right were presented by the class of 1953. The senior class no longer presents tangible gifts to the university and instead presents monetary gifts.

They may be long gone, but their presence remains on campus. Students can still see the memory of past senior classes in the rock on Farm Lane, a stained glass window in the Alumni Memorial Chapel, benches along the Red Cedar River and the bubbling fountain in front of the Main Library. Since 1873, the graduating senior class traditionally presents the university with a parting gift, a culmination of the four, five or any number of years spent as an undergraduate. In recent years, the gifts left behind by senior classes are not as tangible as a park bench, but in the form of scholarships, funding for programs such as IM sports, greek life and campus beautification projects, the senior class continues to make a lasting impression on MSU.

Leaving a legacy

Traditionally, the Senior Class Council raises funds and efforts by graduating students to put toward the senior class gift.

The first senior class gift, the rock on Farm Lane, was donated by MSU’s senior class of 1873. After being dug up in the site of the present-day Beal Botanical Garden, the rock’s first official position on campus was north of the MSU Museum, near the Beaumont Tower. It was later moved near the campus police department in 1977 after incidents of student graffiti, but was moved back to its original location the same day after student protest. Eventually, the rock wound up on Farm Lane and has since served as a message board of sorts for the student body.

Throughout this academic year, a group of three Senior Class Gift Campaign committee members are working to organize fundraisers and donations for the class of 2009’s senior gift.

Susan Carpenedo-Zupan, an interdisciplinary humanities senior and committee member, said a few of this year’s fundraisers include skate days at Munn Ice Arena, a T-shirt sale and a Valentine’s Day event.

In 2000, MSU challenged the University of Michigan’s senior class to determine which school could get more student participation. The tradition lasted several years, although it fizzled out more recently, Carpenedo-Zupan said.

In 2005, the SCC and University Development worked to make changes to the senior class gift program in order to help increase awareness and participation. Students were then able to decide whether they preferred to donate to the university or the college of their choice. Money donated went toward scholarships, study abroad programs, lectureships and aid for future students.

One of the problems presented by the idea of a tangible gift was that if the council did not raise enough funds to buy the gift, all of the donors would have to be contacted again in order to redistribute that money elsewhere.

Justin St. Charles, a psychology senior and committee member, said he would have liked to have seen a tangible gift if they could have raised enough money for it.

During graduation ceremonies, the seniors present President Lou Anna K. Simon with a check for the total amount they’ve raised. The last time the campaign was totaled, in December, the committee had raised more than $11,000.

With the number of donors ranging from 200 to 600 and more, senior class gift campaigns in the past 12 years have raised anywhere between $18,000 and $34,000.

Raising funds

Alison Satkoski, assistant director of annual giving in University Advancement and adviser for the campaign, said donating is one way students are able to show their support for clubs or programs on campus they can relate to.

“The thing about the Senior Class Gift Campaign is that it is teaching students the concept of philanthropy and giving back,” she said. “It encourages them to start a history of giving to the university, and they’re much more likely to continue to the university after they graduate.”

“(Getting people to donate) is difficult in any sense. Even if the economy was better, we’re all poor college students,” Chelsea Woell, a hospitality business senior and committee member, said. “That’s why we try and do a lot of events because if people have to pay $5 to get into a concert, or something, all of that money that they pay to get in actually will go back to the class gift. That’s how we’re trying to avoid that low spot with the economy, we put on events where you can come and have a great time, get something out of it, but also feel good knowing that their money is going toward the class gift.”

Woell said everyone she talks to, including friends and family, understand the significance of donating, she said.

“Not one person was like, ‘Oh, I can’t give $5 to put toward the gift,’” she said. “If every senior donated $5 or even $10, we would have so much money. Think about it. It’s such a small fraction. You just buy one less drink at the bar, give it to the class gift.”

In addition to the fundraising events put on by the committee, students, parents and other interested parties also can donate to the senior gift online at www.givingto.msu.edu/seniorgift/, and by selecting the senior class gift as the recipient.

Making their mark

Woell said she didn’t designate where she wanted her money to go when she donated, but if she would have it would have gone toward the Spartan Marching Band.

Hailing from a long line of Spartans, she said she’s had football season tickets since freshman year — and so have her parents.

“I feel that (the marching band) really brings life to football games and everything. You hear the marching band and everyone goes crazy,” said Woell. “I know the music program is kind of struggling right now, so every little bit will help them.”

Carpenedo-Zupan said she hasn’t yet decided where she wants her donation to go, but it will likely go back to the Honors College or campus beautification projects.

“One of the main reasons, especially with the economy, for seniors to give back to the programs they’re interested in,” she said. “It’s important to give back to ensure that the programs will be around. It also makes people more likely to give.”

St. Charles said he has already donated a little of his own money to the campaign, but will likely donate more when he graduates. His father is planning to make a contribution in his son’s name to commemorate his being the first generation in his family to go to college.

“I’m giving back to the College of Social Science,” he said. “It’s been a part of my entire life here, and I know it really well.”

Woell said she gets a great sense of pride by helping to organize the senior class gift.

The Senior Honor Wall, located on the third floor of the Union, was donated by the class of 1997 and is host to plaques marking each senior class’ gift.

“Most people don’t realize the significance of something like that, but everybody knows the rock. You could not even go to State and you know what the rock is,” she said.

“The fact that something like that can still be a permanent fixture on campus — I think that’s cool. It’s kind of like bragging rights, ‘I’m a part of the organization that made the first one happen.’ Hopefully we can do the same and leave our legacy by donating and giving back to the school.”

Share and discuss “Leaving their mark” on social media.