Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Mathos keeps dorms safe

Mathos

Night receptionist Elyse Mathos, a comparative cultures and politics junior, shares the ups and downs of guarding the door of Case and Wonders halls nightly.

SN What are your actual hours?

EM There’s two different shifts. The first shift is from 11:30 p.m. to 3:15 a.m., and the second shift is from 3:15-7 a.m. So some people just work one and some people work the full shift, so it’s 11:30 p.m. to 7 in the morning.

SN How do you deal with having to stay up all night?

EM Normally, I try to sleep a few hours before. If it’s only the first shift, then that’s the easiest one, so I’m normally fine. But if I’m staying up all night, then I’ll definitely sleep a few hours before work.

SN What’s the best part of the job?

EM It’s easy. I basically get paid to do my homework most of the time, especially when it’s slow and there’s not a lot of people coming in.

SN The worst?

EM The hours. Sometimes you don’t want to stay up until 7 in the morning. You get used to it, but I would say that’s the worst part.

SN Sometimes you hear stories about this job being dangerous. Have you ever felt at risk at work?

EM Not really. There have been a few incidents, but nothing serious at least that I have seen. There’s always a supervisor there and there’s always at least one person at each door, so I have other people there with me, so I don’t feel like I’m by myself.

SN Any odd or funny situations that stand out about the job?

EM A lot of drunk people walking in all the time; the things they say. You always see things that late at night that you just kind of laugh about.

SN What do you always want to tell the students coming in that you probably can’t?

EM It’s not a big deal if they forget their ID, everyone always apologizes. Also, they don’t need to try and hide that they’re drunk … We’re students too. We understand and we’re not going to think badly of them.

Share and discuss “Mathos keeps dorms safe” on social media.