Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Historic 1979 championship team honored with halftime ceremony

Earvin “Magic” Johnson holds a crystal basketball during halftime of Sunday’s game against Wisconsin at Breslin Center. The 1979 NCAA Championship team, including Johnson, was honored during the game.

If MSU men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo wasn’t feeling enough pressure
Sunday afternoon, all he needed to do was take a look over his shoulder.

Sitting behind the Spartan bench were the watchful eyes of the 1979 MSU National Championship team, which at halftime celebrated the 30 years since winning the title.

“My mentor (Jud Heathcote) was here, and we looked like a dysfunctional group here so that bothered me,” Izzo said during his postgame press conference. “And then we had Magic (Johnson) here right behind me with all his stardom, so yeah, that was pressure.”

The last thing Izzo and his team wanted to do was rain on the championship team’s parade, but for most of the game it appeared they would.

Wisconsin, riding a five-game winning streak, led 41-29 with 12:31 left to play. But the Spartans closed the game on a 32-9 run to win 61-50 at Breslin Center.

“I wanted to win it because all of those players have continued to come back and call back,” Izzo said. “I think that speaks for continuity in a program.”

MSU’s win capped a memorable weekend for the 1979 squad, which enjoyed the return of all but three players.

At halftime, the team was presented with a commemorative crystal National Championship trophy by MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon, Athletics Director Mark Hollis and others.

Heathcote, who has undergone two open heart surgeries this past year, discussed his health — but not before making a few wisecracks.

“I know one thing, I’m still undefeated for the season,” said Heathcote, who coached the Spartans between 1976-95.

“I’m recovered, I feel a lot better,” he said. “I’m looking forward to golf season, end of story.”

Johnson, whose NBA legacy needs no introduction, shared his thoughts on Heathcote.

“One thing we found out quick is that he’s still Jud,” said Johnson, who for several years has tried to get Heathcote elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. “I know that he’s great when he’s still crackin’ his jokes and everything.”

Kelser said the experiences he took from the championship season are impossible to rival.

“It’s really hard to describe the pride and joy of seeing my teammates,” Kelser said.

“It proves that the bond of winning a championship and sharing a common goal is truly everlasting.”

Share and discuss “Historic 1979 championship team honored with halftime ceremony” on social media.