Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Protect yourself from hypothermia

Dennis Martell, Ph.D.

Dr. D.,

How do you know when you are experiencing hypothermia? I was out running this morning and I felt my lungs start to hurt, and I got dizzy. I was shivering when I got home, and it took me a long time to warm up. I checked WebMD.com, but I am still a bit unclear if running in the cold can do that.   

— Cold Runner

Dear CR,

Dude, I am going to guess by the date on your e-mail that you went running on the one day last week that was 10 below zero. If I am correct, then I can only surmise that you are either a genetic abomination and ?carry the DNA of a polar bear, or you are one crazy, addicted runner. Seriously, are you nuts? Couldn’t you have gone to IM Sports to run on this one day, or at the very least, join the senior citizens for a day and walk at the mall? 

Understand that this advice is coming from someone who grew up in the Upper Peninsula on the shores of Lake Superior, where if you decide to take a “whiz” outside in this kind of temperature you are liable to flash freeze your “winkie”.

Don’t get me wrong, I think running is a great way to exercise and I truly enjoy winter sports, but you really need to be very careful when the weather reaches extreme temperatures as it did last week. It appears to me that you may have overexposed yourself and were in the first stages of hypothermia. Let’s talk about the “cold, hard facts.”

Hypothermia is a state in which the body’s core temperature drops below what it needs to maintain normal functioning, such as metabolism. What happens is that the body loses heat rapidly due to extreme temperatures and cannot always replenish in time to stop the core temperature from dropping. When this happens, the body goes into what we call hypothermia. The symptoms of hypothermia depend on what stage you are in, and the stages are determined by your core body temperature at the time. Normal core temperature is 98.6 degrees Farenheit. 

In stage one, your core temperature is usually between 95 and 98.6 degrees Farenheit. Symptoms include mild to severe shivering, which seems to be where you were. Blood vessels can constrict in your hands, arms and legs and you tend to breathe quicker although it becomes shallow.  You can also experience a condition called “goose bumps,” which is the body’s futile attempt to create an insulating layer of air to warm the body.

In stage two, your core temperature drops between 91 and 95 degrees Farenheit. The shivering becomes intense, and your movement becomes difficult and slow. It becomes hard to walk, and your thinking becomes confused. Your color becomes more pale, sometimes matched by an ensemble of blue ears, fingers, toes and nose. Stage three temperature is usually below 89.6 degrees Farenheit, at which time almost all cellular metabolism shuts down. Thinking, speaking and movement become poor to almost nonexistent. Pulse and breathing become slow, although the heart can be racing. At this point you are not aware of much, and running may be the last thing on your mind.

Treatment in the early stages, which seems to be where you were, consists of removing yourself from the extreme elements first. Then, completely drying the affected parts and finally warming the body or parts. Blankets may not always be enough, since what you really need to do is to raise the core temperature. Sometimes, drinking warm, sweet liquids will help you raise your core temperature.

The best prevention is not to expose yourself to such temperatures. But if you insist on “polar running,” then appropriate clothing is the way to go.

You need to layer your clothing and try not to wear cotton fabrics, since they retain water, which pulls heat from your body. You may consider wearing a running mask to protect your lungs from the very cold, below zero temperatures.  It will also hide your identity from those who may point and stare at the mutant, running polar bear. After all, we have a saying in the U.P.: “The only people who run in the snow are either chasing the deer they ?just shot or running from ?the bear they just missed.” ?Silly trolls! Peace, love dove. 

—Dr. D.

Share and discuss “Protect yourself from hypothermia” on social media.