Monday, September 23, 2024

E-mail system still has many problems, needs improvement

Many of us students have found out over the last week or two that MSU has updated the e-mail service.

While the new e-mail system has many more options comparable to the likes of other services available online, it failed to correct the one issue that causes the most frustration amongst student: We are being locked out of our e-mail.

Instead of overhauling the interface, why was the server not improved so that the system does not get backed up as bad as it does? We now live in an age of super communication where students are expected to check e-mail regularly to stay on top of classes.

With a server that cannot handle the load of the student and faculty body, our education is being restricted.

During the past week, I have found myself needing to check my e-mail only to find that I can not log in.

I have, however, discovered a few things that can help so that this does not happen.

The first and most reliable option is to forward your e-mail to a separate account. This allows you to access your e-mail on a reliable server and most likely have more space to store old mail.

Secondly, if the current system will not let you log in, try logging into the old system using the https://old.mail.msu.edu. My only hope is that someone high up will realize, by trying to check their e-mail, that painting a Geo Tracker won’t make it run like a Corvette. 

Thomas Theisen

mechanical engineering senior

Share and discuss “E-mail system still has many problems, needs improvement” on social media.