Monday, September 23, 2024

Obama's presidency will usher in change, unity for America

It’s not hard to think highly of Sen. John McCain, especially when he is as gracious and high-minded in defeat as he was Nov. 4.

I know that President-elect Obama wants to usher in an era of unity and healing, but it’s important that we never forget that Obama is the president-elect despite the fact that the McCain campaign promoted fear, xenophobia and racism because he believed people’s ignorance was the margin of victory.

McCain deserved to lose, and today is a good day because of that.

In the coming months, watch for McCain to distance himself from his conduct during the financial crisis, his running mate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and his negative assertions about Obama.

Although McCain deserved to lose, Obama deserved to win. That makes today a great day, and because he won, I have faith that many more are ahead.

Obama changed how campaigns are run and he has set a new standard for 21st century presidential candidates. Obama brought progressive politics into the mainstream by making his case to Middle America. His policies are a huge departure from the status quo, and he has inspired us and prepared us for the change we need.

Not everyone voted for Obama, but I have a feeling that deep down, many of his detractors are rooting for him to do a good job.

I have supported Obama’s campaign for president ever since he hinted at an interest in running back in October 2006 on “Meet The Press.” The only thing better than seeing him win will be watching him succeed.

David Tibergien

English and professional writing senior

Share and discuss “Obama's presidency will usher in change, unity for America” on social media.