Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Tactics to scare voters away from polls shameful

With the election less than a month away, the dirty tricks have already begun.

Drexel University in Philadelphia recently found itself awash in fliers warning students undercover police officers would be present at the polls looking to arrest those with warrants or unpaid parking tickets. The flier was attributed to an “Obama supporter.”

Needless to say, the local police were planning no such ambush and the identity of the distributor of the flier is still uncertain.

Tactics such as these fliers are designed to play into certain voters’ fears and keep them from exercising their constitutional right to vote. Other common schemes designed to suppress voter turnout include false notifications of a change of polling place or even a change in the date of the election over the phone.

Although many people are likely shaking their heads in disbelief that anybody could lend credence to such tricks, the fact remains it works.

Many observers point to a push-poll phone call — fake surveys designed to spread negative information about a candidate — in South Carolina as having ended Sen. John McCain’s hopes of capturing the 2000 Republican presidential nomination. The call — which insinuated the senator’s adopted Bangladeshi daughter was an illegitimate black child — took McCain from a double-digit lead to a loss in the state.

Exact figures on how many voters are scared away from the polls by these tactics are unavailable. Still, even if the tactics keep one voter away, they represent an essential threat to our way of government.

The United States is built on the idea of one person, one vote. Anything that attacks this fundamental belief is a threat to democracy itself.

One thing we must wonder is what those who perpetrate such attacks are thinking. What candidate wants to win under such circumstances? Shouldn’t the fact a person has to resort to such underhanded methods indicate wrongdoing?

Unfortunately, such thoughts don’t seem to enter people’s heads. Expect to hear numerous reports of such violations occurring across many battleground states.

As for MSU, be aware that you could see fliers such as the one that showed up at Drexel pop up here. Although the McCain campaign’s decision to pull out of the state means we aren’t quite the battleground we once were, the race is still somewhat close in Michigan.

So if you suddenly get a call indicating your polling place is closed or see a notice stating the election is being moved because of rain — another common tactic — take it with a grain of salt. Confirm any suspicious election changes with your local city clerk. Don’t just take an attack on a candidate on face value — research into it yourself.

It’s a cliché to say this is one of the most important elections of you life, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s true. Don’t let someone rob you of your right to help decide the future of the country.

It’s your responsibility. Make sure your voice is heard.

Share and discuss “Tactics to scare voters away from polls shameful” on social media.