Monday, September 23, 2024

Economy sparks constant worry

Krystle Wagner

Georgeville may be the next Hooverville — Georgeville being the modern-day shanty towns named after President George W. Bush, much like the Hooverville shanty towns that were named after President Herbert Hoover during the Great Depression in 1929.

If this economy doesn’t get back on track, I fear we all may be in for harder times than we can even imagine. The shape of today’s economy has me freaking out. Instead of lying awake at night nervous about tomorrow’s exam, I’m awake panicking about the economy.

With each passing day a bailout plan isn’t put into action, the closer the U.S. moves toward a depression — at least that’s my opinion. I feel as though our economy is circling the drain waiting for it to finally give into a depression. Unemployment rates are at an all-time high, businesses are going bankrupt and the stock market is crashing.

I once looked forward to listening to the evening news to catch up on what I missed during the day, but no longer do I have the same interest — the news is beyond depressing. Over and over again, I hear the same thing: This is the worst shape of the U.S. economy since the Great Depression.

Every time President Bush addresses the nation, I watch it hoping he will lay out what the fancy legislative words for the bailout mean. Is it too much to ask for President Bush to spell it out as if we are in kindergarten? Speaking to the American people in “legislative mumbo-jumbo” is the worst way to calm their fears. It’s simple — use words the people have heard and used on a daily basis. Otherwise, everyone is confused and left to believe the government is once again screwing the American people out of their hard-earned money.

Pointing a finger at one particular person or group isn’t going to make this economic pickle we have ourselves in go away. The votes for or against the bailout plan can’t be party-versus-party. I have two theories as to why the bailout plan has failed to pass.

My first theory involves the upcoming presidential election, as well as other political elections. A third of the Senate is up for re-election, so they want to get their view known to the voters and how they intend on saving the economy. But let’s be serious — now isn’t the time for politics. Our politicians owe it to the citizens to create a bailout plan and put it into effect immediately.

My other theory behind the failure to pass the bailout is simply because people, including those voting on the issue, don’t understand how it will help the American people in the long run. This crisis is important for anyone who receives loans, has investments, or is breathing. Helping out Wall Street eventually helps out Main Street — it’s the only way to get us all back on track. By the failure of the bailout, banks will cease to give loans, investments are going to shrink to almost nothing and future generations aren’t going to know what it’s like to have a good economy. Since I rely on student loans, I’m afraid I won’t receive much, if any at all, by the time next year rolls around. The investments I was one day hoping to make, and those that my parents have already made, are basically being thrown out the window. I think our stock market has become a joke.

I can’t help but wonder what other countries think of the U.S. now. Countries are going to be more hesitant to invest in our stocks since we aren’t stable. Foreign investors aren’t going to jump back on the “investing in U.S. stocks wagon” anytime soon.

As our economy continues to plummet, I question packing my bags and becoming a citizen of Canada. Yes, hightailing it to Canada and turning my back on my country is just how scared I am. Economy-wise, I feel like just about any place would be better than the U.S. right now. Am I the only person who feels this way? Certainly, there must be other people who feel like throwing their arms in the air and waiving a white flag as if to say, “OK, we surrender. Let us have our economy back.”

People are becoming overly optimistic with the Dow Jones Industrial Average making a slight comeback from its drop of 777 points in one day. This crisis didn’t happen overnight and it won’t be fixed overnight either. It will take many months and probably years before the economy is anywhere near the way it used to be. All I know is the great country to the north is looking like a better option as the days pass and there’s no end to this economic crisis in sight.

Krystle Wagner is a State News staff writer. Reach her at wagne125@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Economy sparks constant worry” on social media.