Friday, June 28, 2024

Ike pours into Mich.

Tim Potter, marketing and sales coordinator at MSU Bikes Service Center, empties water out of the canoes outside of the center on Sunday. It was the third time that he had emptied the canoes and he said that he has cranked the docks up as high as they will go. The Red Cedar River is expected to reach 9 feet by Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning according to The Weather Channel’s Web site. The river’s flood stage is 7 feet.

Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc along the Gulf Coast last week, but the storm also can be blamed for a deluge of inconveniences that reached the Lansing area. The price of gas skyrocketed over the weekend amid rumors of price gouging, and rain caused many students not willing to brave the elements to miss the MSU football game. Local businesses also reported rained-out sales, and the level of the Red Cedar River climbed to flood potential.

Flooding

The remains of the hurricane plagued southeast Michigan since Friday, bringing rains that caused the water level of the Red Cedar River to rise. The National Weather Service has issued a river flood warning for the river’s surrounding areas. The warning is in effect until the end of the week.

“East Lansing picked up nearly 6 inches of rain in the past two days, and that’s normally what we receive in two months,” said Rob Dale, a meteorologist for WLNS Channel 6.

The river is expected to reach flood stage today, which occurs at 7 feet, Dale said. The water level is anticipated to rise to almost 9 feet by Wednesday morning.

“The last time we were around 9 feet was in February 2001,” he said. “At that level, Jenison Field House and the Intramural Sports Circle usually (flood).”

IM Sports-Circle has suffered only minor ceiling leakage.

If flooding does occur, Dale recommends taking basic measures, like sand-bagging, to prevent further damage.

Melting Moments, 313 E. Grand River Ave., experienced flooding Sunday afternoon when floors in the back room started leaking, manager Lisa Belen said.

The exact cause of the flooding is still unknown, Belen said.

“We just want the rain to stop,” Belen said.

“The sewer drain can’t handle that kind of amount.”

Gas price increase

As rumors of a gas price hike circulated on Friday, local residents headed to the pump, causing lines of cars spilling out into the streets.

Gas prices shot up 10 cents from Saturday to Sunday and now stand at a statewide average of $4.04 a gallon, more than a dollar higher than last year’s average, said Nancy Cain, spokeswoman for AAA Michigan.

“Michigan is one of just seven states across the nation that’s up over $4 a gallon because of Hurricane Ike,” Cain said. “Our record is $4.21, which we hit in July.”

In the Lansing area, gas prices stand at an average of $4.10, up 37 cents from last week, according to AAA.

Hurricane Ike delivered a direct hit on several petrochemical factories in the Gulf, forcing the closure of nine major refineries, said Charles Ballard, an MSU economics professor.

“The hurricane hit just as hard as any natural disaster could potentially hit – 20-25 percent of the gas refineries in the country are located in that region.”

Flyovers revealed at least 10 production platforms were destroyed by the storm, said Lars Herbst, regional director for the U.S. Minerals Management Service.

“It’s too early to say if it’s close to Katrina- and Rita-type damage,” Herbst said.

According to MMS, Hurricane Katrina destroyed 44 platforms three years ago. Hurricane Rita destroyed 64.

Before knowing any potential changes in prices, officials must first assess the damage to oil refineries in the Gulf, Cain said.

“We anticipate the price to go up a bit more yet,” Cain said. “Prices should hopefully start coming down in the next week or so.”

Ballard said rates could come down in the coming days, but consumers should be prepared to weather high gas prices.

Ike might have done more damage to refineries than Katrina, Ballard said.

Although difficult to predict, Ballard said gas prices are likely to drop close to their level before the hurricane.

“That’ll depend on several other factors, like the price of oil,” Ballard said. “We’re getting to the end of summer driving season, and the demand typically isn’t as high. Plus, the dollar has strengthened a little bit, and that’s helped keep prices in check.”

In a press release Friday, Gov. Jennifer Granholm addressed the issue of gas price gouging by promising prosecution to violators.

“In the wake of the attacks of September 11 and Hurricane Katrina, a few opportunists tried to take advantage of Michigan citizens by significantly raising gas prices without justification,” Granholm said. “Those opportunists were prosecuted, and anyone who tries it now will be prosecuted, too.”

Wet weekend

Students said the rain forced them to stay in for the weekend, even causing some not to attend the MSU football game.

“I didn’t even make it past the first quarter,” said Kristen Ciechanowski, a hospitality business sophomore. “A bunch of my buddies and I went, but it was too rainy to stay.”

Business owners said the rain kept students away and negatively impacted sales. California Juice Company, 549 E. Grand River Ave., saw only about one-third of its usual Sunday sales, said co-owner Meghan Dennis.

“What we’re selling is very dependent on the weather,” Dennis said. “Cold drinks don’t draw as many people in this weather.”

Erik Merckling, owner of Scavenger Hunt, 503 E. Grand River Ave., said rising gas prices might actually help business for his store.

“Usually bad weather equals lower sales, but I hope the gas prices would be better for us because we’re cheaper than other stores,” Merckling said.

The Associated Press and staff writers Keiara Tenant and Kyle Feldscher contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Ike pours into Mich.” on social media.