Monday, September 23, 2024

Lower drinking age would open communication with students

I am writing in response to the editorial titled Lower drinking age encourages safe consumption (SN 8/26). I am pleased to see the editorial board addressing the serious issue of lowering the drinking age and bringing light to a nationwide initiative led by university officials (and not thirsty teenagers). With particular regard to past incidents such as last school year’s Cedar Fest or simply the number of alcohol poisoning cases across campus each year, it is especially important to consider the ways in which the university can be most proactive and productive in ensuring students’ safety.

While employed with Residence Life as a resident mentor, I was responsible for helping to educate students about the effects of alcohol consumption, however I sometimes found it difficult to adequately address the topic and all of its interrelated issues without crossing the boundaries of my job. At the end of the day, the “official” message is always that not drinking is the only safe and healthy way to deal with alcohol. “Abstinence-only” alcohol education is ineffective; rather than providing clarity and encouraging understanding, it shrouds the issues and breeds ignorance, perpetuating unhealthy attitudes about alcohol amongst both drinkers and non-drinkers. A lower drinking age would allow Residence Life staff members — not to mention the entire institution of MSU — to engage in a more proactive dialogue with students about topics related to alcohol and partying. Ultimately, a lower drinking age would create a safe, judgment-free environment for young people across the country to ask questions about drinking or seek help for alcohol-related problems.

Admittedly, I worry that a lowered drinking age might have a backlash or further contribute to the destructive culture of binge drinking among college students. But I believe that if universities and colleges take a more proactive role in alcohol education, a possible backlash would subside as people develop more healthy and mature attitudes toward drinking and partying. With time, alcohol will be just another beverage instead of the enticing taboo that it is today. I encourage President Lou Anna K. Simon to consider signing the Amethyst Initiative to join in leading the nation, as well as university and students, toward a more progressive point of view towards alcohol.

Rachael Hodder

2008 MSU graduate

Share and discuss “Lower drinking age would open communication with students” on social media.