Friday, September 20, 2024

Answering the big questions

Matt Bishop

Colorado Springs, Colo. — The MSU hockey team has a tall task ahead as it faces Colorado College at 10 p.m. tonight in the NCAA Tournament’s West Regional semifinal at World Arena.

Deputy Sports Editor Matt Bishop discusses some of the big questions surrounding the game with the Tigers.

Question: Special teams will be a key to this game. Which club will be able to impose its will in this area?

Answer: Both teams have excellent power-play and penalty-kill percentages. Colorado College is killing penalties at a near-90 percent clip. MSU head coach Rick Comley said the Tigers like to pressure on the penalty kill.

MSU did not react well to a high-pressure PK from Miami (Ohio) earlier in the season. With an extra 15 feet of space to work with, though, good puck movement should result in solid chances.

On the other side, MSU’s penalty killers must be aware of their surroundings while attacking Colorado College’s power play. Depending on how the game is called, special teams could play a big factor. Statistically, it’s power versus power. In reality, the Tigers probably have the advantage because of their experience on home ice.

And let’s not forget that, while I love the CCHA, the WCHA was a much stronger conference this season. The teams that Colorado College faced multiple times this season — the North Dakotas and Denvers of the world — are solid all-around hockey teams. The CCHA lacked the WCHA’s depth this season. While that won’t necessarily remain true in the postseason, we can only analyze regular-season numbers for the moment. But as they say, it’s a whole new ball game now.

Q: Will junior goaltender Jeff Lerg be at the top of his game like he was during last season’s title run?

A: It’s no secret Lerg shone in last season’s NCAA Tournament, allowing five goals in four games. He was the wall that kept MSU in the national title game and never let the opposition breathe at other times, while facing the best goalies the country had to offer.

It’s no different this season, as he battles Colorado College’s Richard Bachman, the WCHA Player of the Year. In a league with quality players upon quality players, Bachman, a freshman, stood out the most.

Lerg will take it as a personal challenge to outplay Bachman and shut down Colorado College’s vaunted offense, which finished first in the WCHA at 3.38 goals per game.

He is one of the best big-game goalies college hockey has seen in some time. If Lerg pulls out this game for MSU and advances to the Frozen Four on Saturday night, his legacy will be cemented even more so than it is now.

Q: Outside of Lerg standing on his head, what is the biggest thing MSU will have to do to win this game?

A: Lerg can’t do it alone, obviously. He’ll need the team in front of him to step it up defensively and avoid costly turnovers that have burned the team in the past. MSU will have an adjustment period, playing with an extra 15 feet of width. The defense will need to make crisp, accurate passes and the forwards can’t afford to turn the puck over in the neutral zone. Colorado College has the speed and talent to burn MSU at any given moment. The Spartans will need a near-perfect defensive effort to steal a win against the home team.

It remains to be seen if the Tigers will feel pressure after a difficult outing in the WCHA Final Five last weekend. Combine that with playing in front of their home crowd and MSU could have the makings it needs for the all-important quick start. In its series against Northern Michigan, MSU never scored the first goal. Getting on the board first and quieting the crowd will be of the utmost importance.

Share and discuss “Answering the big questions” on social media.