Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Climbers overcome fear, test endurance

Taylor Fuhrman, 10, of Perry, is slowly lowered to the ground Friday after attempting and completing an advanced track at Dick’s Sporting Goods’ climbing wall at Meridian Mall in Okemos.

The rock face rises in the distance as you look up. You try to find a handhold to continue your ascent.

Suddenly your foot slips and before you know it you’re falling — until your safety rope goes taut and swings you in the air.

For a rock climber, it’s business as usual.

As experienced climber Matt Ellsworth said, “If you’re not falling, you’re not doing a hard enough route.”

The Spanish sophomore has been climbing for two years, since a study abroad trip to Chile exposed him to the sport.

“It’s kind of an adventure, and I like the outdoors,” Ellsworth said.

Since his departure from Chile, Ellsworth has actively pursued what he calls a “vertical ballet.”

He currently spends about 26 hours a week pursuing the sport.

“A good day of training is two to three hours devoted to climbing,” he said.

He’s traveled both around the state — he’s gone to various climbs in Grand Ledge “hundreds of times” — as well as across the country to climb.

Ellsworth’s dream is to tackle El Capitan at Yosemite National Park in California.

“It’s the holy grail of climbing,” he said. “It doesn’t get climbed often.”

This far, his favorite climb has been Red River Gorge in Kentucky.

“It was the most difficult but the most rewarding,” Ellsworth said.

For zoology senior Jessica Fort, Red River Gorge is a climb she has yet to conquer, although it’s one she’s preparing to tackle.

A novice compared to Ellsworth, Fort has been climbing for about six months, since just before she got a job at Dick’s Sporting Goods in Meridian Mall in Okemos, working at the rock-climbing wall.

A few early climbing experiences with friends convinced Fort the job was right for her.

“I had a lot of fun (climbing),” she said.

Fort uses her position to prepare for her next climb. Putting in seven to eight hours a week for training, she relishes the sport’s nature as a series of personal challenges.

“It’s an individual sport,” Fort said. “It’s about pushing yourself to the limit, but once you get the hang of it, it’s fun and not scary.”

For those looking to enter the world of rock climbing, buying equipment may not necessarily break the bank. Must-haves include shoes, a harness, belaying equipment and rope. Fort said a novice climber can purchase it all for a few hundred dollars, although more experienced climbers may pursue more expensive equipment, such as ropes that can run up to $400. Ellsworth said he’s spent about $500 assembling his collection of rock-climbing gear.

Fort said those with rock climbing friends can cut down on expenses by borrowing all equipment — except for shoes.

“Shoes have to be extremely small and tight, really fitted to you,” she said. “You can’t really share shoes.”

Renting equipment at a gym also is an option, allowing a person to get a feel for whether rock climbing is right for him or her, Fort said.

While there aren’t any specific clothes the sport requires, Ellsworth advises climbers to put the jeans away.

“I’d (advise) loose clothing,” he said. “Shorts are the best, and a nice baggy T-shirt,” he said.

One doesn’t necessarily have to be on a rock wall to prepare for a climb. Fort runs to increase her endurance, while Ellsworth increases his flexibility with yoga.

Newcomers should be aware rock climbing isn’t the easiest sport to attempt.

“It can take a long time to progress,” Ellsworth said. “It gets frustrating at times.”

Novices also should be prepared to fall — a lot.

“You fall nearly every time,” he said. “Coming off a rock is part of it.”

Despite the frustrations, Ellsworth still finds it a sport worth doing.

“Stick with it,” he said. “It’s hard at first, but it’s a rewarding experience.”

Share and discuss “Climbers overcome fear, test endurance ” on social media.