Saturday, May 18, 2024

Web site expands statewide job listings

State officials are hopeful a solution to Michigan’s rising jobless rate will be to put job openings within a mouse click’s reach.

The Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth, or DLEG, tweaked its Michigan Jobs & Career Portal Web site, expanding on its listings for jobs and career fairs and promising 100,000 job openings statewide.

“Michigan Jobs & Career Portal has been enormously popular with students, job-seekers and employers, so we are constantly making enhancements to have all of the tools and resources they need in a one-stop shop,” said Keith Cooley, director of the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth.

The Web site, www.michigan.gov/careers, has offered resources for both the job seeker and the employer since it launched in 2003. About 150,000 visitors use the Web site each month.

Kenneth Parker, a DLEG manager responsible for the development and maintenance of Michigan Jobs & Career Portal, said the Web site provides a quick and easy method to conduct a search for Michigan jobs.

“We try to give you a quick overview on the home page itself of the features unique to your needs, and it also lists state and local job openings by city, county and state levels,” Parker said.

Ardis Cazeno, DLEG director of labor exchange services, said that amid the state’s time of high unemployment, the Web site has offered an average of 40 job fairs per month.

“This site is a free way to publicize a job fair, and coordinators of these job fairs have told us they’ve seen a difference in the number of attendees and will use it in the future,” Cazeno said.

Michigan’s unemployment rate from September to October increased two-tenths of a percentage point to 7.7 percent — 3 percent higher than the national rate.

Cazeno said as layoffs and buyouts have led to an increased interest in entrepreneurial efforts, a 16-step guide to starting a small business was an important addition the Web site. The guide includes legal and financial information, tips on creating an effective business plan and free online courses and software.

An addition of streaming video capabilities makes users familiar with the Web site to get familiar with recent changes, Cazeno said.

The Web site’s videos include a comprehensive virtual tour on the site’s home page and more specific information under categories for job seekers, students and parents, employers, teachers and support tools.

Share and discuss “Web site expands statewide job listings” on social media.