Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Senior Class Council football event raises money for charity

Human resource management senior Ryan Rusnak said he really loves football — but he enjoys the sport even more when money is donated to charity because of it.

The Senior Class Council’s 10th annual Charity Bowl took place Sunday morning at Munn Field to raise money for charity. Ten teams competed in the coed football tournament, using Air Force style rules, where unlimited forward and backward laterals are legal every play.

“This event is great because it is all about people playing for someone else — and they are really into it,” said Kerry Monroe, a communication and public relations senior who is an active member on the Senior Class Council’s philanthropy committee.

The two final teams battled it out for first-place trophies. The Shockers defeated M.R.I. 46-6 in the championship game.

“This has always been a really fun event to take part in,” said Nic Ryan, a crop and soil sciences senior and Shockers team member. “Our team has been playing in this the last few years and we’ve always done well. We were the champs of the IM coed league last year.”

The winning team is given the opportunity to donate all of the money raised from the event to a charity of their choice. The Shockers’ charity was United Way.

“We chose a charity where donated money would involve kids,” Ryan said.

The Senior Class Council raffled off prizes as well, such as T-shirts, food certificates, signed Tom Izzo merchandise, gym memberships and a trip for two to Chicago provided by STA Travel.

More than $4,000 was also donated by various businesses in East Lansing.

“Chipotle pulled through as well and donated a bunch of burritos for everyone here,” communication and public relations senior Kristin Hough said, who is another member of the Council’s philanthropy committee.

Share and discuss “Senior Class Council football event raises money for charity” on social media.