Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Rite Aid liquor license request moves forward to City Council

A new pharmacy is preparing to open business in a formerly vacant property in northern East Lansing.

In the coming months, Rite Aid Corporation will open its third store in the city. This location, which hugs the intersection of Saginaw Street and Abbot Road, will encompass a single-story, 14,564 square foot building with two drive-through windows.

Located at 111 East Saginaw St., the property was previously occupied by a Sunoco service station which had gone out of business years ago, said Peter Dewan, vice chairman of the East Lansing Planning Commission.

“It’s important that the city has a new investment in an area that’s been out of business,” Dewan said. “This is an investment that’s going to benefit the citizens of East Lansing.”

Just like the other two Rite Aids in East Lansing, located on East Grand River Avenue and Lake Lansing Road, the new Rite Aid is seeking approval to sell beer, wine and other packaged alcoholic beverages at the store.

The East Lansing City Council will discuss and possibly vote on the proposal during the Dec. 4 council meeting.

The liquor license request was reviewed and unanimously supported by the East Lansing Planning Commission on Oct. 24. Members found no reason to deny Rite Aid the liquor license, planning commission member Dale Springer said.

“All their stores throughout the city have licenses to sell the product,” he said. “There seems to be no strong reason it shouldn’t also be available in this store.”

Rite Aid spokeswoman Ashley Flower did not return several calls Monday, and other Rite Aid officials said it’s against their policy to answer questions from the press.

Plans to demolish the service station and construct the pharmacy were unanimously approved by the East Lansing City Council during the March 6 City Council meeting.

At the meeting, community members and surrounding neighborhoods were generally supportive of the project, Mayor Pro Tem Vic Loomis said.

Loomis said he supported the project because community members will be able to get use out of it.

“I think this will turn out to be a good addition to the city,” he said. “I hope they do well there.”

Share and discuss “Rite Aid liquor license request moves forward to City Council” on social media.