Saturday, May 18, 2024

Mich. primary date remains in limbo, parties plan contingencies

There is still one more chance to save the life of a potential Jan. 15 presidential primary date in Michigan.

On Monday, the state’s attorney general office appealed the decision of the Michigan Court of Appeals which found the law unconstitutional to the Supreme Court.

“We’ve asked initially they overturn the lower court and appeal court’s decision or that they could also allow the election to take place but make a decision on what to do with the list at a later date,” said Matt Frendewey, spokesman for Attorney General Mike Cox.

The Jan. 15 law was found unconstitutional because it allowed the voters list from a public election to be exclusively used by the state’s Democratic and Republican parties.

Michigan’s Secretary of State Office had already expressed the matter would need to be resolved quickly in order for the department to prepare ballots for absentee and military voters overseas by Dec. 1.

“We ask they turn over the list to the Secretary of State and order not to give it to anyone until a decision is made in the court,” Frendewey said.

Michigan Senators sent a bill to the state House that could alter the legislation to make it more agreeable for all sides, however, House members haven’t taken the bill up yet.

“We’re waiting (for) the decision by the Supreme Court before we make any decisions,” said Greg Bird, spokesman for House Speaker Andy Dillon, D-Redford.

If Michigan does not hold a Jan. 15 primary, the state’s Republican party would hold its nominating convention Jan. 25-26, while Democrats could hold a Feb. 9 caucus, according to The Associated Press.

The state’s move to an earlier primary had already caused some contention when Democratic presidential candidates pledged not to campaign in the state and all but candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton pulled their names from the ballot.

The national GOP also threatened the state party with pulling half of its delegates from the national nominating convention.

Share and discuss “Mich. primary date remains in limbo, parties plan contingencies” on social media.