Saturday, May 4, 2024

Mich. House votes to return 4 reluctant Democrats to ballot

Michigan’s presidential primary is not unconstitutional, and four Democratic presidential hopefuls will return to the state’s ballot.

Michigan House members voted Monday evening to put Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., John Edwards, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del. and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on the ballot after the four chose to withdraw from the Michigan race.

“We’re thrilled (the primary) is still on Jan. 15, it’s a good long-term move,” said Phyllis Washburn, spokeswoman for House Minority Leader Craig DeRoche, R-Novi. “We’re certainly cutting it close, but we would like to see everyone on the ballot.”

Michigan’s Supreme Court voted Wednesday to overturn a lower-court decision that ruled the Jan. 15 primary unconstitutional.

Prior to the court decisions, Michigan’s primary date also caused problems for Democratic presidential hopefuls who withdrew from the state race after legislators voted to move the primary election. Only Mike Gravel and Sens. Hillary Clinton and Chris Dodd chose to remain on the state’s ballot.

All of the Democratic candidates had pledged not to campaign in the state.

Michigan legislators are still hoping those presidential candidates who have not campaigned in the state will take the opportunity to consider Michigan’s issues, Washburn said.

“New Hampshire will still get the most attention because they’re moving their (primary) up, too,” said Charles Atkin, chairman for MSU’s Department of Communication and an expert on media campaigns.

“There isn’t much time for the candidates to campaign,” Atkin said. “(In) the second half of December everyone is too busy, there you just have a couple of weeks in January, so we won’t get too much advertising from the campaigns, which was one reason they wanted an earlier primary.”

The bill will return to the state Senate, where legislators are hoping it is put into immediate effect for Jan. 15. A decision would have to be reached in time to give Secretary of State offices time to print and send ballots overseas to military and absentee voters.

“We think if we’re going to have a primary it should be a true primary with a full slate of candidates,” said Greg Bird, spokesman for House Speaker Andy Dillon, D-Redford. “Not only to make Michigan relevant, but to insure the largest number of voters get to choose their next president.”

Share and discuss “Mich. House votes to return 4 reluctant Democrats to ballot” on social media.