Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Nixing domestic partner benefits displays 'bigotry'

The push for the discontinuation of domestic partner benefits is a display of bigotry and ignorance by the people of Michigan. To infer that domestic partner benefits should not be allowed to homosexuals, as they somehow pose a threat to marriage and will ultimately destroy this country, is unjust and unfounded. I also have read that people feel as though tax dollars should not be used to support domestic partner benefits, and people such as Jessica Byrom believe that benefits should be extended to everyone on earth if they are extended to homosexuals because she has to carry 12 credits to maintain health coverage under her parents.

Michiganians should consider the fact that the average combined income of a homosexual couple is 60 percent higher than the average U.S. income. The average income of a homosexual is $55,430. The average general population income is $32,286. That’s an average of $23,144 more taxable income that a homosexual brings home yearly than a heterosexual. Couple this with the fact that most homosexuals don’t have children or other dependents to claim on their income taxes (or extend benefits to while they’re carrying 12 credits in college) and we arrive at the conclusion: Homosexuals pay far more in income tax than heterosexuals.

It is evident that through taxes, homosexuals contribute a disproportionately higher rate to such things as Social Security, roads, social programs and military spending. If you are one of those people so greatly opposed to domestic partner benefits, I have a few ideas for you. How about you accept only 40 percent of your Social Security check when it comes, drive on only 40 percent of the paved roads, cut back social programs by 60 percent and reduce U.S. Military personnel by at least 65,000 (yes, at least 65,000 members of the armed forces are believed to be gay and protecting your freedom)!

Perhaps some of the Michiganians are right. Maybe all the homosexuals should leave Michigan and/or the United States. Then everyone who’s opposed to loving relationships that are truly no different than theirs can start paying higher taxes as the homosexuals wouldn’t be here to cover more than their share of the workings of this state and country.

Barb Kraus

1997 MSU alumna

Share and discuss “Nixing domestic partner benefits displays 'bigotry'” on social media.