Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Icers sweep weekend, up win streak to 8 straight

Comley

The MSU hockey team got just what it needed this weekend against Mercyhurst.

MSU’s offense scored 12 goals while senior forward Chris Mueller and junior forward Tim Crowder both tallied their first goals of the season as the No. 4 Spartans swept the Lakers with a pair of 6-2 scores, extending it’s winning streak to eight games.

“The positive for us is that we got some kids on the board, scoring-wise, that had not scored,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “Hopefully that relaxes them a little bit.”

Saturday, sophomore goaltender Bobby Jarosz led the team out of the tunnel for the first time in his career. Starting his first game as a Spartan, he did not disappoint, earning third star honors with 24 saves.

“Overall, he made some good saves,” Comley said. “That second period had like 40 shots on goal between the two teams, so he made several good saves. I was really pleased with him.”

The start by Jarosz ended junior goaltender Jeff Lerg’s streak of 63 consecutive games started, a school record.

“Anytime you can give your best player a night off and help the team win at the same time is what I’m here for this year,” Jarosz said.

More importantly for the Spartans, both Mueller and Crowder had great nights.

Saturday, Mueller tallied four points while Crowder picked up two — with each of them scoring their first goals of the season 14 seconds apart to give MSU a quick 2-0 lead.

“It’s about time,” Mueller said, laughing. “That’s all I’ve got to say.”

Mercyhurst cut MSU’s lead to 2-1 with a 5-on-3 goal later in the period and that stood until the second period, which was a shooting gallery, as the two teams combined for 37 shots in the middle frame.

The Spartans most consistent scorer, junior forward Tim Kennedy, found himself yet again in the right place at the right time, knocking in a rebound for his ninth goal of the season, which is tied for the league lead.

“He’s got great talent,” Comley said of Kennedy. “It’s funny, I think he’s more of an assist guy than a goal guy, but right now, the puck’s dropping right for him and he’s right there.”

Then, in another quick span, things really opened up for MSU, as freshman defensemen A.J. Sturges and Jeff Petry both scored their first collegiate goals within 1:03 of each other.

With the goaltender lacking his stick, Sturges took a fluttering wrist shot that found its way home.

On the other side of things was Petry, who fired a vicious slap shot that Mercyhurst goaltender Ryan Zapolski had no chance at.

“It was one of those nights where everybody was getting in on the action,” Sturges said.

“It was good to see that guys are getting into the flow of the season.”

Mercyhurst made it 5-2 just over seven minutes into the third period, but MSU responded 45 seconds later.

Both Mueller and Kennedy wrapped up their four-point nights with assists on the goal.

For the weekend, MSU scored 12 goals and peppered Mercyhurst with 92 shots.

That “next weekend” that Comley referred to is MSU’s showdown with Miami (Ohio), who came into this weekend as the No. 1 team in the country, but split with Notre Dame.

Share and discuss “Icers sweep weekend, up win streak to 8 straight” on social media.