Saturday, May 18, 2024

Facebook advertising unnecessary, annoying

Fifty million users, one CEO, two objectives. Since Facebook.com’s launch in 2004, the social network has undergone a series of face-lifts. Once upon a time the site was simply a convenient way to communicate with friends. Now gifts and applications have helped to turn Facebook into a highly profitable business.

The Federal Trade Commission, or FTC, is currently investigating another new addition to our beloved Facebook: the Facebook Ads platform. When a user becomes a “fan” of a business, his or her name and profile picture are displayed in advertisements that can be viewed on the news feed — you know, that little addition we all love.

Note the sarcasm.

This advertising process has been deemed “unfair and deceptive” by advocacy groups who say that Facebook users are not properly informed about how their information is used for commercial purposes.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg argues users don’t need to become fans of businesses and that the Facebook Ads platform is a way to provide “more useful and relevant advertising.” This means that by advertising on Facebook, businesses are able to distribute their company name with very little effort. It seems advertisers are taking advantage of their Facebook-loving fans by using them in advertisements without their permission.

However, the ad system is no different than wearing a Gap T-shirt and complaining about being used as a walking advertisement, which usually is a personal choice. If you feel so strongly about a business to the point where you want to become a Facebook fan, don’t complain when your name and face are used in one of their advertisements. If you’re particularly fond of a certain product or business, and you don’t want everyone to know, keep it to yourself.

It’s not hard to get caught up in today’s advertisement-driven world. Ads can dictate what we wear and eat, how we act and sometimes what we think. It was only a matter of time before ads were incorporated into online social networking.

It’s beginning to look like Zuckerberg doesn’t have users’ best interests at heart. When it comes down to it, Facebook is still a business trying to expand and increase profits. The company needs to be up-front with users about their privacy.

Apparently, the addition of the news feed, which very few people seem to be in favor of, was only the beginning of Zuckerberg’s plan to expand his thriving business. If he continues to compromise user privacy, there is a good chance people will find the networking Web site unappealing.

The Facebook Ads platform may prove to be too much commercialization and, in turn, push consumers away. We already know that John is in an open relationship and plays video games in his spare time. We don’t care where he ate dinner last night and that he thinks we should eat there too. Bottom line — it’s annoying.

We long for the days when Facebook was uncomplicated by applications and advertisements and when users were free to communicate without debating about which virtual cocktail to send to friends.

While the constant battle between pirates and ninjas may never end, hopefully the demand for pointless applications will.

Share and discuss “Facebook advertising unnecessary, annoying” on social media.