Saturday, May 18, 2024

E.L. Police grow handlebar mustaches, beards until Dec. 4 to celebrate centennial

After East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert suspended a department policy restricting male officers from growing beards or goatees, Sgt. Andy Bouck researched police officer mustaches from 1907 — the year East Lansing officially became a city.

“I Googled 19th century police officer facial hair,” said Bouck, who is growing a modifed handlebar mustache. “A lot of (officers) are starting to grow facial hair, but they haven’t cut into the vintage look yet.”

To celebrate the city’s centennial year, Wibert is encouraging male officers to grow 1907-style cookie-duster mustaches and whiskers until Dec. 4 — when the facial hair will be judged during the Keystone Kops lunch for retired officers.

Wibert sits on the planning committee for the East Lansing Centennial Commission and decided to start the mustache contest within the East Lansing Police Department as police officers’ own way of celebrating the city’s 100-year anniversary.

“In the old Keystone Kops photos, almost every police officer has a mustache or strange whiskers,” Wibert said. “It’s kind of a morale builder. Most police officers aren’t allowed to grow facial hair other than what is listed in the policy. It’s a rule they live under for 25 years if they spend their entire career here.”

Most police departments have strict facial-hair guidelines since they model themselves after the military, Wibert said.

“We have some officers who hate the idea, but it’s all in fun and spirit of the celebration,” said Detective James Campbell, who is growing his first beard for the competition. “I’m going to let it grow out as much as I can, and the day before the judging, I’m going to go and get it trimmed up.”

Although growing facial hair goes against Bouck’s personal beliefs, he said the contest is a way to honor past officers.

“This will be a fun way to honor and remember the officers before us and move on from there,” Bouck said. “This goes against everything I stand for in uniform. I was in the Marine Corps before (becoming a police officer), so I always go for the spit and polish look. It was difficult at first to start growing my mustache.”

Wibert said the department has received positive feedback from community members.

“A lot of people … think it’s a fun thing,” Wibert said. “It’s important you don’t take yourself too seriously.”

Share and discuss “E.L. Police grow handlebar mustaches, beards until Dec. 4 to celebrate centennial” on social media.