Saturday, May 4, 2024

E.L. government could gain 2 MSU students

East Lansing’s brisk effort to stimulate more student involvement in city politics could be validated in December.

A pair of MSU students are running for two of the city’s 15 boards and commissions, which will have vacated seats on Dec. 31.

Board and commission members, who serve three-year terms, are responsible for gauging proposals and ordinances.

They also are responsible for making recommendations to the City Council.

Political theory and constitutional democracy senior Derek Dobies applied for the East Lansing Planning Commission, and urban and regional planning senior Joe Manzella applied for the Transportation Commission.

Manzella, a member of the University Student Commission, or USC, said the prospect of serving on the Transportation Commission intrigued him.

“I’d love to work in East Lansing once I graduate in the spring,” Manzella said.

“I’ve been active, and I feel that I have quite a bit of knowledge in the field, being a planning student.”

Although city officials are elated that at least two students are running, they’re encouraging more students to throw their names into the mix, said Marie McKenna, executive assistant to the city manager.

“We’d be heartened to have that younger voice on those boards and commissions,” McKenna said.

“That was one of the main reasons why we were encouraging students to apply for the Emerging Leaders Program. We hope those folks will feed into these boards and commissions.”

The East Lansing Emerging Leaders Program was a 10-week seminar intended to help East Lansing residents hone their leadership skills and achieve a better understanding of city government.

Dobies, who couldn’t be reached on Monday, was among the 22 people who graduated from the inaugural class on Nov. 15.

Applicants for boards and commissions are interviewed by the chairperson and City Council liaison to the respective commissions, Mayor Vic Loomis said.

After interviewing all applicants, the chairperson and liaison select the best applicants and nominate them to the City Council, he said.

Councilmember Nathan Triplett, who served on the East Lansing Human Relations Commission, one of several commissions that have designated student positions, said boards and commissions are the best way for students to get involved in local government.

“The importance of the work that those groups do can’t be overstated,” Triplett said.

There are more opportunities to get involved with the city than people think, said Kyle Dysarz, ASMSU community liaison to the USC.

“Many people have the perspective that the city doesn’t listen to students — but they really do,” Dysarz said.

“The opportunity for students to get involved is there, it just needs to be taken advantage of.”

Share and discuss “E.L. government could gain 2 MSU students” on social media.