Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Responsibilities of leadership

Heather Guenther

With power comes responsibility.

Now, this might seem obvious to some, but it can all too easily be forgotten or pushed aside when those in power stray from their original goals because they take on too many responsibilities at once or have more to gain personally by changing their views.

When people take on leadership positions in student organizations, they assume a great deal of power and influence over the future of the clubs.

But club officers also take on a completely new set of responsibilities with this power, which also comes with its own unique feeling of vulnerability. By stepping into a leadership position, students make themselves vulnerable in the sense that everyone in the organization critiques their every mistake. It’s impossible to please every person within the group, and it’s important for fellow board members and general members to realize that mistakes will be made. At the same time, it’s important for club officers to realize that they can’t do everything by themselves. While it’s good to be an achiever and take on every task assigned, it’s OK to say no sometimes.

Working on two or three assignments, as opposed to five or six, at a time allows an individual to put more effort into completing tasks to the best of his or her ability — and the quality of the work will be higher.

When entering a leadership position, students should be aware of the responsibilities that come with the job and the responsibilities that might not explicitly be outlined. If a leader knows what needs to go into his or her tasks beforehand, there will be no surprises later when it comes time to get work done. But if there are questions or concerns, talk to someone about it or ask for help. Delegating is part of being a leader, and there’s no shame in admitting you need a helping hand or two. But when something backfires, leaders should be aware that those helping hands will be pointing the finger at them. There is no way to prepare to take the blame, but a leader realizes his or her responsibility for the club and makes sure he or she is familiar with the work members are doing.

Besides club officers fulfilling their own duties as board members and making sure other board members are doing their jobs, student officers are responsible for representing the general club members. After all, if it weren’t for the average members giving these people their vote of confidence, leaders wouldn’t be holding those positions of power in the first place.

But most importantly, club officers need to uphold their moral and ethical practices because having a genuine love for what they do is at least part of the reason the members voted them as a leader in the first place. If a leader doesn’t believe in what he or she represents, it’s easier to forget the responsibilities to the organization, to the members and to him or herself.

I can’t speak for every past, present and future club officer for the more than 550 registered MSU student organizations, but keeping promises made before and after elections can definitely be a struggle. As a freshman, I joined the MSU chapter of Circle K International, an international community service organization. I currently serve as the district bulletin editor for more than eight clubs in lower Michigan. I would like to think that while on the club’s executive board, I did my job and I did it well. Six months later and halfway through my term as the district editor, I unfortunately can’t say the same of my current performance. Promises made during my term remain unfinished, and I continually push back my club responsibilities so I can finish homework or go to work — which are both important, but often lead to incomplete Circle K work.

It’s having an overabundance of ambition after securing a leadership position or straying away from one’s original reason for running in the first place that seems to contribute to a flawed leader.

But admitting one’s faults or weaknesses as a leader should exemplify the strength of that leader and his or her ability to be completely honest and openly communicate with members of the organization.

I didn’t join a service organization for the coveted leadership opportunities or the perks that come with those jobs. I joined for the service. But by joining a group, I’ve learned a lot about myself and have been given the chance to grow.

Heather Guenther is a State News staff writer. Reach her at guenth38@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Responsibilities of leadership” on social media.