Friday, July 5, 2024

College seeks building funds

Music performance majors Joseph Agacinski and Heather Peyton, right, wait outside of class Wednesday afternoon in the Music Building. Agacinski commented on the crowded building and said there are “not enough practice rooms to accommodate growing numbers of students.”

In five years the cost for a new music facility has risen from $70 million to $103 million — to the point where officials said it is not feasible to start construction.

“The two biggest things right now would be to find someone to name the music building and someone to name the college,” said Jim Forger, the dean of the College of Music. “But there are not many who can make a gift of that size.”

Preliminary plans for a new facility would include not only a new music building and practice building, but also a performance hall and a music library, which now resides at the MSU Main Library.

Options for possible locations include spots near the Kresge Art Museum, the Wharton Center and the parking lot adjacent to Giltner Hall.

Also, renovating the existing building in phases has been discussed.

Provost Kim Wilcox said the current building is overcrowded — there has been significant enrollment growth without being able to expand the facility.

The college now holds 675 undergraduate and graduate students.

Nate Brown, a jazz studies senior, who no longer practices at the college because of long wait, said it’s imperative that a new facility be built.

“In a new building I would want plenty of new rooms and ones that actually had electronic systems that work,” he said.

However because of Michigan’s economy, this dream might be far off.

It’s been a priority for the university for several years to replace or enhance the facility, Wilcox said. But the state hasn’t given any money for new faculties in about seven years.

Before, if you raised 25 percent of the construction expenses the state would pay for the additional cost, Forger said.

“In the last university capital fundraising campaign the college raised $16 million where one-third went to expendable dollars, one-third to an endowment fund and one-third toward a new facility,” he said.

Forger said officials are still talking to donors and alumni about donations.

“But the likelihood of a major donor is not close at hand.”

Share and discuss “College seeks building funds” on social media.