Friday, July 5, 2024

MSU alumnus breaks triathlon record

Scheidies

For world record-holding triathlete Aaron Scheidies, the most challenging aspect of his sport isn’t swimming, biking or running — it’s seeing the course.

The 2004 MSU alumnus was diagnosed legally blind when he was a child, but, since then, Scheidies has developed methods of overcoming his disability.

One of his most shining achievements came Oct. 14 at the U.S. Open in Dallas. He broke the world record for the fastest time for a physically challenged athlete.

“I never dreamed of this,” he said of crossing the finish line with the new record.

Born in Nebraska and raised in Michigan, Scheidies first found interest in triathlons as a high schooler when he realized that his dreams of becoming a professional soccer player weren’t going to come to fruition.

“I thought it was good that it (triathlon) didn’t involve a ball or reaction time,” he said.

Scheidies, 25, competed in his first triathlon event in high school after receiving support from his parents.

“My parents drove the bike course and run course and pointed out potholes,” he said.

In the major events, Scheidies has a guide to help navigate the course.

“I’m a very trusting person. I learned that I had to ask the guide for help and be able to follow his directions,” said Scheidies, who sometimes bikes up to 100 miles a week as part of his training.

Scheidies’ guide at the U.S. Open was Ben Collins, who was tethered to the physically challenged competitor during the swimming and running events and rode a tandem bike with Scheidies during the other event.

Scheidies served as president of the MSU Triathlon Club from 2001-04 and helped gain the skill set he would need as a member of the team.

“It shaped me as a person and got me to where I’m at now,” he said.

Scheidies said he hopes people with disabilities can realize that they possess the same skill set as those considered normal.

“I don’t think he does this to be an inspiration, but he is an inspiration,” Collins said.

Share and discuss “MSU alumnus breaks triathlon record” on social media.