Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Weather control out of our hands

Jeff Kanan

As the tragic anniversary of Hurricane Katrina passed, I’m reminded of how little power we possess in preventing such natural disasters. Despite having the technology to research life’s many mysterious forces, we are virtually defenseless against Mother Nature.

Modern resources have allowed us to tread across previous barriers.

Every unknown zone has been closely stalked in the name of societal advancement. We’ve utilized technology to shed light on natural phenomena such as child birth, aging and death.

Birth control, whether or not ethical, provides a way for humans to tamper with the natural process of child birth.

We’ve learned to identify a child’s characteristics long before that child exits the womb.

The technology necessary for genetic engineering is well on its way.

What was once uncharted territory is now an oasis for new ideas.

Aging used to bring certain facial and bodily changes, but now that plastic surgery and other such methods offer ways to maintain a desired image in spite of old age’s coming, we’ve managed to compromise some of its ill effects.

Humans have advanced so far as to meddle with death itself.

Life-sustaining machines preserve the existence of terminally ill people and postpone the onset of death.

Once seen as a great unknown, death has been studied and researched by humans in such a way as to undermine some of the previous views.

But Mother Nature has stubbornly stood beyond the bounds of mankind’s manipulation.

Where other mysterious phenomena have been tampered and experimented with, the weather can only be tracked and charted, not controlled.

And we’re all subject to Mother Nature’s mood cycles.

We might be able to look 30 years less than our age, but when it’s raining outside and we want to toss the football around, we must either abandon the plans or get wet.

Sometimes that’s a tough decision.

In spite of weather’s enigmatic nature, we must focus on what can be done to help limit the “disaster” part of natural disaster.

Preventing the event is impossible, but taking measures to minimize the damage will prevent other areas from suffering the same damages as the Gulf Coast region.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is the organization famous for botching the Katrina relief effort.

The group has made several motions to strengthen its institutions and better guarantee its preparedness for the next major hurricane.

According to the Web site NGOWatch.org, the relief group has streamlined its operations, added hundreds more employees, and provided delivery trucks with satellite and tracking systems.

All of which are wonderful, but when nature decides to strike, it’s really difficult to be considered “prepared.” At that point, it is just a case of utilizing the available resources to survive.

The McClatchy Washington Bureau reports that FEMA has gained closer ties with the Department of Homeland Security, Border Control and the U.S. Coast Guard, and has entered into a new partnership with the Pentagon’s Defense Logistics Agency.

This strong networking has made it possible for the group to quickly send U.S. goods and troops around the world whenever it is necessary, which is reassuring.

Some might argue too many federal resources were allocated into fighting the war on terrorism at the time of Katrina.

Now that government officials have witnessed Katrina’s immense destructive capabilities, their full attention will undoubtedly be given to the next major hurricane.

But in spite of FEMA’s measures, can we ever feel secure when a storm the size of Katrina comes ashore?

Or are we all at odds with Mother Nature’s superior methods?

Jeff Kanan is a State News staff writer. Reach him at kananjef@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Weather control out of our hands” on social media.