Friday, July 5, 2024

HPV infection in males not always harmful

Dennis Martell

Dr. D,

Can you please provide the MSU community with information about HPV? I have recently been diagnosed and I’m freaked out. I know it’s not a serious disease for males, but still can lead to medical complications. I know I need to see a specialist and this frightens me. Can you tell me how it is spread, how to prevent the spread and what the effects are? I have heard that something like 75 percent of people who are sexually active have it.

Thank you. — Concerned

Dear Concerned,

It is sometimes hard to find solace in the unfortunate things in life that happen to us, but in this case your question may allow someone else to avoid the emotional tug-of-war you seem to be going through.

It helps sometimes to think of this as an infection that happened because you came in contact with the virus.

The mode of transmission is skin-to-skin contact, usually happening during some sort of sexual expression.

It’s important to realize this is not a consequence of your choosing to be sexually active.

I think about it as an unforeseen possible outcome that can occur while being sexually active.

In your case it is important that you not chastise yourself for your choice, because how you perceive and view yourself with this transient infection may be more important in the process of healing than what the infection can do to you physically or how it is treated.

HPV stands for human papillomavirus. It is thought to be one of the most common sexually transmitted infections on campus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates 50 percent of sexually active adults in the U.S. will contract HPV at one point in their lives. It can cause genital warts in some cases and may lead to cervical, penile or anal cancer, depending on the strain a person has. In most cases, the infection will disappear on its own. It is possible to get the infection without having intercourse.

Because genital HPV also affects the area around the genitals, a condom may not fully protect against the transmission of HPV. However, using condoms or doilies is recommended, as it can greatly reduce the risk.

Most people who have the infection do not have visible symptoms; however, it is still possible to pass it to a partner without knowing.

Even though there is no cure for the infection, there are treatments for its symptoms. It is important to note that the only way to diagnose HPV in women is through regular Pap smears during a gynecological visit. There is still no way to test for HPV in men.

Also, last year the Food and Drug Administration approved an HPV vaccination for women ages 9-26. The vaccine protects against the four strains of HPV that are most likely to cause genital warts and cervical cancer. Olin Health Center does carry and administer the Gardasil vaccine.

For more information about HPV in general, visit www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm, stop by Olin Health Center to talk to a health educator or talk to your health care provider.

Most men who get the infection never develop any symptoms or health problems.

In rare cases, men may develop HPV-related complications, but most are considered treatable.

Before you see the specialist, it might help make a list of questions so you can make sure to get the answers you need. You are taking the right steps by taking responsibility for your personal health by asking questions and educating yourself.

If you have other concerns, feel free to give me a shout.

Peace, love dove!

— Dr. D.

Dr. Dennis Martell is a coordinator of health education at Olin Health Center. E-mail him your questions at dennis.martell@ht.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “HPV infection in males not always harmful” on social media.