Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Tyranny of faith

For a very long time now, Christianity has been marketed as a religion of love. Not only is it a religion of love, we're told, but also it is a religion of redemption and forgiveness.

Oddly enough, this feel-good religion has enjoyed a meteoric rise within the last eight years - from growing youth groups and Christian rock music to the religious right's support of President Bush's war on terror. It's not hard to come across one of the four or five Christian channels on cable TV and hear the message that Christianity is so great, our country should be based on it and our laws should be subservient to its theology.

But is it that such a good idea? Close examination of the religion will show that morphing Christianity into a political concept - as the Middle Ages have shown - is very dangerous. If these political pastors want to play fair ball, it's time to take a look at what Christianity would look like politically. It's time to take the cat out of the bag and reveal Christianity, no matter how well-intentioned, for what it really is: a subtle form of fascism.

If you think hard enough, you can draw very interesting parallels between the exclusivity of Nazism and Christianity. Hitler believed in Germany there should be a master race, and all Jews, homosexuals and political dissidents who didn't fit his blond-haired, blue-eyed utopia would be sent straight to a concentration camp. The Christian God, on the other hand, believes only his chosen people - Christians - can enter the pearly gates of heaven. In his cosmic "final solution," he sends everyone else including homosexuals, Buddhists, Hindus, atheists and all nonbelievers to the eternal concentration camp of hell. That means even Gandhi himself is smelling his own flesh burn right now and for the rest of eternity.

Next, in a fascist society, the masses must be unthinking, docile and loyal subjects. In heaven, ironically enough, the followers of God are described as dressed all in white, losing their individual personalities, bowing in droves and worshipping God for eternity. God is described as a cosmic king, sitting in judgment on his throne.

This close relationship between God and His subject is often compared to a sheep loyally following its shepherd. The whole "good shepherd" thing reminds me of "Big Brother" - an intangible figure who is always watching you, always judging you and always telling you what to do.

Finally, the best similarity of all: Nazis wanted to spread their ideology by conquest in Europe. Christians did the same during the Crusades. Although most church leaders claim that was a perversion of the religion, I question that. The violence in the Crusades seems inherent in the religion - the Inquisition and "witch" burnings also point to a violent tendency running through Christianity. Heck, even every TV evangelist from Pat Robertson to John Hagee supported imperialistic conquest in the 21st century. Little has changed.

So, how can it be said that Christians don't worship a cosmic version of a fascist? Nazis had their "fuhrer" (German word for "lord," applied to Hitler) and Christians have their "Lord," Jesus Christ.

I anticipate the response before it even occurs. People will say, "But Christianity is a religion based on love. Jesus died for our sins. Hitler killed millions of people in hatred and arrogance, and Jesus was the most kind and loving leader ever. His love is unconditional."

God's love is conditional - it is conditional on the fact that we must love him back and accept his son as savior. If you don't, you get sent to hell. It's a megalomaniacal love from a tyrant king who demands complete obedience from his earthly subjects. The idea of, "I love you so much that if you don't love me back, I'll burn you forever," doesn't really sound like a very secure omnipotent being - more like a complete control freak.

To me, the true God, if there is one, would let his creation use the brain given to them and allow them to choose whatever belief they think is right.

With Christianity revealed for what it is, I think we can lay to rest that old argument that "our country is a Christian nation and will only thrive on Christian values." That is not true for the very simple reason that in 1776 our country did away with the concept of divine right - the idea that the cosmic king, God, chooses kings to rule over us. We've been electing presidents for more than 200 years and, so far, God hasn't sent one plague or punishment our way.

Isaac DeVille is an MSU English junior and a State News columnist. Reach him at devillei@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Tyranny of faith” on social media.