Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Experts: Fireworks not all fun and games

The fuse to the Fourth of July is sizzling down, and when it burns out, city officials are hoping the bang comes with an "ooh" and "ahh," not an "ouch."

The worst problem some people might face is ringing in their ears, but others could experience serious burns caused by matches, fireworks and grills.

That's why their best bet is to watch a professional firework show, rather than risk losing a finger, said Suzy Carter, executive director of the Lansing Area Safety Council.

For those looking to take matters into their own hands, it's best to keep personal firework shows simple to minimize accidents, Carter said.

"It seems like once every summer we hear of a mishap, and they're so unnecessary and so unfortunate," she said. "It usually involves a child and a burn causing an eye injury or hand injury, and that's something that child will have to live with for the rest of their life."

Odd as it may seem, a majority of those mishaps are caused by seemingly tame, legal fireworks, such as sparklers, Carter said.

Sparklers can reach temperatures hot enough to melt gold. Other legal fireworks burn at 1,200 degrees, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Other activities associated with the summer holiday, such as grilling and drinking, also can be a cause for concern, said Dr. John Deary, who works in the emergency department of Lansing's Sparrow Hospital.

"Any time when alcohol is involved, there's an increased chance of a burn," Deary said about lighter fluid spills and gas exposure when grilling.

The most common injuries on the Fourth of July are superficial burns, which can be inflicted by someone holding an active firework, he said.

To initially treat a burn, clean the area because it can become easily infected, Deary said.

A burn dressing or cream may alleviate the pain, depending on the severity of the injury, he added.

After it's clean, keeping the burn dry is very important, Deary said.

"Water actually has a lot of bacteria in it," he said. "The number one cause of an infection is because (people) don't keep it dry."

The blast from an exploding firecracker also can seriously affect a person's health.

"When you have a blast injury with an explosive device, stuff is thrown at a person like a missile," Deary said.

The result can be damage to ears or skin and organs such as the stomach, lungs and intestines.

Any firework that explodes, leaves the ground or spins is illegal in Michigan, and possessing one is a misdemeanor, East Lansing Fire Marshal Bob Pratt said.

"The way my children describe it is anything that is fun," he said.

Pratt said he hopes it rains before the holiday because fireworks can pose an extreme fire risk.

"Have a water source available, so you can quickly extinguish or douse any device that doesn't go off as it's supposed to," Pratt said. "And make sure you're away from dried vegetation."

The most serious incidents tend to be in areas heavily populated by students, he said.

"They do some pretty unintelligent things like setting them off inside," Pratt said.

East Lansing police Chief Tom Wibert said he is not expecting to have many problems on the holiday.

"Most of the other cities around us are busy during the Fourth of July, but we are not," he said.

"A lot of it has to do with other municipalities having their own fireworks … people tend to get out of town here in East Lansing."

For those staying in town and planning on doing their own personal pyrotechnics, Carter said she hopes they remember to celebrate safely.

"I know it sounds like we don't want anyone to have fun," she said.

"But we just want folks to be safe and not alter their lives forever because of one firework."

Share and discuss “Experts: Fireworks not all fun and games” on social media.