Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Elitist and proud

Every so often, national news outlets turn their complete attention to a group of college men and women that are, more often than not, recognized for their negative contributions to university life.

It's true, greek life on campuses once had its heyday, but has since been moved to the fringes of the "acceptable" norms.

Fraternities are demonized for their involvement in drinking, parties and hazing rituals, while sororities are dishonored because certain girls aren't able to find a place in a "prescribed" social atmosphere. The fact is, many of these negative viewpoints are perpetuated by people who have no greek affiliation and have very little idea of the kind of familial bonds that are built between members of houses.

In a situation involving the Delta Zeta house at DePauw University, 23 sisters were removed for lacking commitment to a house with a social image that was wavering and was considered one of the worst on campus. It just so happens the 23 women removed from the house were overweight or members of minority groups.

Because I am far removed from the situation, and I don't know the specifics, I have to assume the house's administration had good reason to deem these girls unfit for the sisterhood. OK, fair enough. But why are op-ed pieces being written scrutinizing the greek system as a whole? What does this one instance really have to do with the system at large?

The editorial "Sorority bases membership on looks" (SN 2/27), states that a system "initially designed to serve as networking places for like-minded people" has turned into "elitist" houses that would rather haze than take part in positive activity.

Well first off, who cares?

If it's not your house and has nothing to do with you, why should you care that the house down the road is elitist? Second, becoming an elitist organization has a purpose. The overall goal of the fraternity is to survive and flourish in an atmosphere that would rather burn the house and its values to the ground. What better way to ensure the longevity of a house than to recruit the best possible people who know they have something to offer?

Image is everything, and if something as delicate as the social standing of a fraternity is going to be left to kids who don't have the house's best interests at heart, then there is no point in continuing with the tradition. But that is the worst possible solution - I would keel over dead before I allowed my house to give up tradition to please the general public and allow some ninny off the streets to ruin what has been set in stone for more than a century.

And maybe it is unfair that not everyone can make it into a fraternity or sorority. That doesn't mean there is a cookie-cutter image that everyone is forced to prescribe to. As a house, we choose those men who show the potential to grow and show commitment, and ultimately make the most of their college years, both socially and academically. These are values that should be praised, not put on trial because of the errors that the media focuses on.

And if these desires to lead a meaningful college career, and to show loyalty and dedication make people elite, then so be it - it's better for the individual and it's better for the house. From that respect, maybe everyone should strive to be elite.

If anyone asks, yeah, I'm elite. I'm part of an elitist organization, and so I guess that makes me better than you. Tough luck.

People willingly pledge because they know it will help them become better people in the long run. What won't help anyone are all the outsiders moaning about "problems" and "errors" the greek system makes. Just ignore it - if it's not for you, then it's not your concern. I will go on loving college, making friends and enforcing the good standing of my house in the community.

I know when I'm inside the walls of my house that all the elites - the stereotypical jocks, meatheads and "high-lifers" will take care of me.

I know because they're family, and I'd do the same for them. I also know the next morning we'll go right on taking care of business, being better than everyone else.

If I took a lesson away from all of this I would say that I will go on striving to be better than others for years to come, and if all the know-nothing ninnies want to gripe about that, let them. Deep down, I know Delt Sigs and other greek organizations make better people out of average college students.

I'm elite, I'm better and proud of it.

Trey Scroggin is a State News entertainment reporter. Reach him at scroggi3@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Elitist and proud” on social media.