Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Bills could alleviate student apathy

Voting - most consider it a hassle and, for some, a waste of time. With a 50.7 percent turnout for the midterm election, getting voters is a problem

Each time elections roll around, citizens everywhere can be found making excuses for why they will not be voting.

"It's too difficult to get to the polls," "my vote won't make a difference," or "I don't have the time to register." All of these are reasons given for why people don't vote.

However, the state legislature is working to remove the last reason from the list.

Registering to vote can be a time-consuming process that the average student doesn't have time for between classes, work and other extracurricular activities. In addition, having to change one's permanent address does not provide any incentive.

Besides being a nuisance, changing one's address can have far-reaching economic effects on a student. Financial aid, health insurance, auto insurance and claiming dependent status on taxes all require the address on a license to match the person's home address.

Rep. Rebekah Warren, D-Ann Arbor, is working to get current laws changed so residents no longer have to register in the precinct of their permanent address.

This solves the problem of financial issues for students, but it still does not do away with the issue of registering.

Even with only driving across campus, making the procedure a bit more convenient, many students still avoid the process.

Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land has said she does not support the bills and a better solution would be preregistering teenagers when they get their driver's license at 16. This proposal would have the effect of having most of the community registered to vote, which is the first step in getting people involved.

Together these solutions would have a strong effect on the number of voters in each election. Many people are disillusioned with the process or are just too lazy to vote. Implementing these plans not only makes the voting process simpler, it also reminds the people that this is a democratic process they should be a part of.

Voting is what makes the government for the people. It is what ensures that the majority voice is listened to.

Students are not the only citizens who stand to benefit from these changes. Those who work far from home or who have temporarily moved, they will not have to worry about a commute to be able to vote.

These solutions both have individual benefits, but jointly, they will solve issues that keep voters from the polls. Land said she did not support the bill and her plan is better, but it does not need to be either/or.

It's not necessary to pick one solution when both can work together to solve a common problem.

Share and discuss “Bills could alleviate student apathy” on social media.