Tuesday, September 24, 2024

City should set homeless guidelines

The issue of whether to ban homeless people from East Lansing parking structures has been simmering on the City Council's plate for the past six months.

During this time, the council has been gathering information and public opinion regarding the topic.

At question is how to handle transient homeless people who have made public parking facilities their dwelling, all the while balancing residents' rights, public safety and monetary efficiency.

The council, to its credit, has been deliberate in its research during the past half year, hearing testimony from law enforcement officials, local social service representatives and East Lansing residents with an interest in the issue. But in the end, the City Council would be wise to create concrete guidelines for handling such situations — that do not punish the homeless for being there without a permanent residence, but rather holds them accountable for violating city ordinances and laws.

The level of homelessness, though not worthy of being called a blight, is a valid concern among East Lansing residents. Homelessness is a fact of city life whether it's a result of various debilitating effects of mental illnesses, difficulties in holding jobs or other contributing factors.

As a result of the inevitability of homelessness, the City Council is acting progressively in addressing this issue. It's time that law enforcement and regular residents be aware of how to best handle dealing with issues — ranging from loitering concerns to security measures — brought about by the presence of the homeless.

But while the City Council ponders the issue, it needs to keep in mind that the basic rights granted to every resident, regardless of living status, need to be upheld in the process. The objective of creating these guidelines should not be to punish, but rather to aid those who need shelter. It's important for the City Council to recognize that homeless people are not violating the law in some cases. As a result, the only enforcement of the law against the homeless people should be the ordinances and law already on the books applicable to every resident of the city.

If the City Council elected to pursue punishment against those permanently dwelling in local parking structures, monetary funds would be required to pay police officers and house violators in local jails. Instead, those funds that would be allocated to enforcing the temporary incarceration of homeless people would be better used to provide temporary shelter and funds for local soup kitchens. This solution would not only be more humane, but also would give homeless people a positive lift for the night.

When the time comes for the City Council to make a decision on the homeless in East Lansing, council members would be wise to take the compassionate route and help the disadvantaged rather than temporarily slam the jail doors on them.

Share and discuss “City should set homeless guidelines” on social media.