Saturday, May 4, 2024

Forget conference awards, here's the superlatives you really need to know

Now that the MSU basketball team's season has come to a close, it's time to hand out some awards.

Most likely to say something that can't be printed in The State News without heavy editing — sophomore guard Travis Walton

Walton is pretty tame when he's speaking at the podium during post-game press conferences, but if you're in earshot when the Spartans huddle up before taking the court, prepare for some fantastic sound bites.

A prime example: This rah-rah speech before the second half of MSU's 59-44 win over Michigan on Feb. 13.

"We've only got 20 more minutes to bust these motha******* asses! Spartans on three!"

Putting it in print doesn't really do it justice. But I was so pumped I could have run through a brick wall.

Most likely to lose consciousness after nailing a big 3-pointer — junior guard Drew Neitzel

No one meant more to MSU than Neitzel. He played an absurd amount of minutes, carried the scoring load and always seemed to get the Spartans going with a big shot when they needed it most. To borrow a line from Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, "They wouldn't have won 10 ****ing games without him. Not 10."

Most likely to be featured in a less-than-flattering photo on the front page of this newspaper — junior center Drew Naymick

We're sorry, Drew. Trust us — your tough post defense was much appreciated, too.

Most likely to pinch Drew Naymick's nipple during a locker room interview — freshman guard Isaiah Dahlman.

Yeah, it happened.

Most likely to make everyone in press row spew projectile vomit — sophomore center Idong Ibok

It's hard to tell which was more disgusting — seeing the bone bulging out of Ibok's arm after his nasty fall against Marquette in the first round of the NCAA Tournament or hearing his blood-curdling scream once he looked at the elbow and realized some parts weren't where they should be. Usually, it's nice to be just 20 feet from the action, but not in this case.

Most likely to earn a spot on SportsCenter's top 10 plays — sophomore forward Marquise Gray

Gray was credited with 96 field goals on the season. I'm willing to bet at least 96 of them were dunks.

Most likely to end up on SportsCenter's cutting room floor — sophomore center Goran Suton

Suton doesn't block shots like Ibok. He doesn't bring the house down with ridiculous dunks like Gray. He doesn't defend opposing post players as well as Naymick.

Yet he brings more to the table than any of the three and still takes 10 times as much heat from fans and the media. Ignore the occasional rash of turnovers and the botched dunk attempt in the Big Ten Tournament, and you'll find a damn good basketball player.

Most likely to be the "next big thing" — freshman forward Raymar Morgan

There's just so much to like about his game. The effortless midrange jumper. The relentless offensive rebounding. The way he attacked the rim against North Carolina. A good offseason could push him into All-Big Ten contention.

Most likely to take 10 years off Tom Izzo's life — sophomore guard Maurice Joseph

When he's on, Joseph is the best pure shooter on the Spartans' roster. Unfortunately, he's also the best at giving up wide-open 3-pointers on the defensive end. If you happen to see Izzo turning red in the face, screaming toward the court and stomping his feet on the hardwood, Joseph is the likely catalyst.

Most likely to win an arm wrestling tournament — junior forward Jacob Hannon

Not only did Hannon come up big in the NCAA Tournament (he provided valuable minutes when Ibok went down with an injury and MSU's other big men got into foul trouble), he's got a pair of guns that would make Karl Malone, Hulk Hogan and Ron Burgundy cower in fear.

Most likely to lead the Spartans back to the Final Four — Tom Izzo

No further explanation needed.

Share and discuss “Forget conference awards, here's the superlatives you really need to know” on social media.