Friday, July 5, 2024

Education offers best defense for spring allergies

You name it, she's allergic to it.

"I have indoor and outdoor allergies," Jenna Parker, an English education junior, said. "Cats, dogs, dust, trees — just about anything you can think of."

As students flocked outside to enjoy the sunny weather Monday afternoon, Parker — clad in a khaki skirt and sunglasses — offered a perspective on the spring season.

With the warmer weather comes an influx of mold and pollen that causes most seasonal allergies. Parker said every spring, her eyes begin to water and her nose becomes itchy. This year, her symptoms started early — she noticed them last weekend.

Parker is among 50 million Americans who experience allergies.

"I can start feeling them when the weather starts getting warmer," she said, adding she has had seasonal allergies nearly all her life. "I hardly even notice them anymore to be honest."

Seasonal allergies occur when mold begins to grow and circulate throughout the air, said Dr. Edward Rosick, an assistant professor in the College of Osteopathic Medicine and a physician at the Family and Community Medicine clinic. One problem, he said, is people believe allergies are caused only by pollen.

"People don't realize there is a lot more mold outside," he said. "That can cause allergies."

The best line of defense against seasonal allergies is education, said Dr. Ridhu Burton, a physician with the Allergy and Asthma Consultants of Mid-Michigan. When people know what is causing their symptoms, they are able to treat them.

Certain allergies start at different times of the year, so knowing what you are allergic to can help.

"It is best to start before symptoms arise," she said. "Otherwise, it is hard to get things under control."

Preventative measures still can be taken because the allergy season hasn't begun. Burton said the season usually arrives during the second week of April.

From traditional prescription drugs to holistic medicine, there are many options available for those looking to rid themselves of allergy symptoms.

Rosick pointed to common medications, such as Allegra, Zyrtec and Claritin, as possible solutions, but also said treatment can be found in vitamin C and stinging nettle root. Burton added nasal steroids are the best type of preventative medicine.

For more extreme cases, people can be injected with small doses of allergens. MSU's Allergy and Immunization Clinic offers injections for people with a prescription.

Those looking for over-the-counter relief should steer clear of medications with a sedating side effect, Burton said.

The best way to avoid contact with allergens is to shut your windows at night. Most plants release pollen in the early morning, so keeping windows shut can help decrease the likelihood of developing symptoms.

Glynda Moorer, director of Olin Health Center, said to avoid sleeping with down pillows and continue to dust your home on a regular basis.

Although there is speculation that children who spend more time outside will be less likely to develop allergies, Rosick and Burton agreed that genetics are the deciding factor.

Parker serves as a token example. Playing sports throughout most of her life, she spent a lot of time outside as a child.

For students like Parker, Rosick stressed that living with allergy symptoms is unnecessary, and they are not guaranteed to go away.

"Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't," he said. "Realize that, and don't think you have to suffer."

Share and discuss “Education offers best defense for spring allergies” on social media.