Friday, July 5, 2024

Senate birth-control bill draws support

Group pushes sex education through state legislature

The Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Michigan called on state legislators Tuesday at the Capitol Building to join them in fighting the country's problems with unintended pregnancies.

The "Prevention First" initiative was established to expand access to birth control and accurate sex education on both national and statewide levels, said Sarah Scranton, executive director for Planned Parenthood affiliates of Michigan.

"Improving access to preventative health care, supporting healthy families, should be a shared statewide goal that we all can agree upon," Scranton said. "If we are committed to reducing unintended pregnancies in Michigan, we must get to the root of the problem through prevention. We must ensure reliable sexual and reproductive health education."

Senate Bill 41 and Senate Bill 42 were proposed in conjunction by Sen. Martha Scott, D-Highland Park, and Sen. Gilda Jacobs, D-Huntington Woods, to make birth control more affordable for women, who spend up to 20 percent of their income on contraceptives, compared with men who only spend 12 percent, Jacobs said.

"(It's legislation) that seeks to expand prescription coverage to include certain contraceptives," Jacobs said, adding that 22 states have passed similar legislation. "Women pay more out-of-pocket health care costs than men. Passage of this legislation would increase access to safe and reliable birth control to thousands of women."

Affordable contraceptives also would lead to less abortions, Scott said.

"People talk about abortion, but if we have the proper tools that women need, we could reduce those abortions," she said.

Jeff Wiggins, chairman of the MSU College Republicans, said the legislation shouldn't make birth control available for students unless they're in high school or around that age.

"Everyone can pretty much agree that any adolescent having sex before they reach high school shouldn't be happening because the responsibility isn't there," Wiggins said. "There's a fine line … if you're going to hand a condom to a sixth- or seventh-grader, that I'm totally against."

The country's problem with unintended pregnancies starts with education, so passing legislation wouldn't solve the overall problem, said Dennis Martell, health education coordinator at Olin Health Center.

"The message we give most young people about sex is wait until marriage, but that's not an appropriate message anymore," he said. "Restricting education because we're afraid that it would allow young people to make poor decisions is just wrong.

"Too often, we tell the people that if you have sex, you're going to get pregnant. That's like saying if you drive a car, you're going to get in an accident.

"Knowledge will help them make clear and comprehensive decisions because when you don't know, you make mistakes."

Share and discuss “Senate birth-control bill draws support” on social media.