Friday, July 5, 2024

Professionals advise washing hands, eating right to avoid common illnesses

Being sick during the winter is like knocking down a trail of dominoes.

All it takes is one classmate to come down with a case of the sniffles, and pretty soon, an entire lecture hall is coughing and sniffling in unison.

But by using a few preventative measures, you might be able to avoid catching a cold this season.

"Washing your hands is one of the best things," said Ronda Bokram, an Olin Health Center dietitian. "A study found there's 45 percent less chance of getting colds and flus for people who wash their hands five times a day. It's one of the things we do the most to keep germs and viruses away."

To make sure hands are washed for an appropriate amount of time, silently sing the "ABCs," washing hands throughout the length of the song, said Diane Fischer, a registered dietitian at Lansing's Sparrow Hospital.

Sneezing into sleeves instead of hands is another way to keep hands germ free.

"If you have to sneeze or cough, it helps keep it from spreading," Fischer said. "Germs don't stay alive in clothing like they do your hands, and you don't usually shake someone's sleeve. Cover your mouth inside your elbow and keep it all in there."

Dr. Randy Pearson, director of MSU's Sports Medicine Fellowship, said unpredictable weather might cause sickness, as people sometimes aren't appropriately dressed when the temperature fluctuates.

"It's important to not get too over chilled or overheated," he said. "When your body gets colder, your resistance tends to lower. Dress appropriately.

"People are indoors more in the winter so there's more opportunity for infection to spread because you're in close contact to others. Fresh air is helpful."

Pearson said most over-the-counter medications aren't effective in preventing sickness — namely vitamin C and zinc supplements. Edward Lipiec, a pharmacist at Sparrow Outpatient Pharmacy, recommends using over-the-counter nasal spray throughout the day.

"That's my favorite, most profound bit of advice — to keep nose passages moist," Lipiec said. "It prevents a lot of colds and flus. It helps the body fend off infection by keeping the membranes moist. When the membranes are moist, the body can work very well fending off viral components."

Lipiec said to use the spray after exiting cars, as heaters can be dry.

Pills, such as Benadryl, are also drying agents and counter the moistening of membranes, Lipiec said. People should focus on routine maintenance instead of corrective medicine to stay healthy, he added.

Medicines such as ZICAM, Cold-EEZE and Airborne are most effective when used before symptoms become severe. But unlike nasal spray, prescriptions may be required before these can be taken. By the time a prescription is filled, the sickness has usually become more serious, Lipiec said.

Drinking six to eight glasses of water a day — regardless of body size — is needed to stay hydrated, Pearson said. Consume fluids throughout the day, as the body can be 1 percent to 2 percent dehydrated before thirst is felt, Bokram said.

Aside from liquids, water can be found in fruits and vegetables. Eating a balanced diet, which includes at least five servings of fruits and vegetables per day, will help ward off sickness.

"All nutrients affect the immune system," Bokram said. "Get enough calories, rest, drink adequate fluids — take care of yourself."

Share and discuss “Professionals advise washing hands, eating right to avoid common illnesses” on social media.