Monday, July 8, 2024

Best remedy for back pain is movement not bed rest

Dear Dr. D,

I have had some pain in my back for the last few days, and I was wondering if I should seek medical attention for it. I normally have a pretty heavy backpack because I commute, but even though I've been trying to lighten my load, any time I walk any amount of distance, my back aches and hurts. It has gotten to the point where I get this feeling, although not as severe as with my book bag on, when walking without it. I am starting to get worried that I have done some damage to my back. Could you please let me know what I can do to alleviate this pain?

-Pain in the Back

Dear PB,

You need to know that you are not alone in your pain! Truth be told, "pain in the back" has now overtaken "pain in the ass" as the most overheard phrase uttered by MSU students as they speak to others about their day.

We know from recent surveys that 45 percent of MSU students reported experiencing back pain in the last year. To put this into perspective, more students report "experiencing back pain" than they do sinus infections, strep throat and/or depression. Of the 29 reportable health problems that we assess, it is the No. 2 health problem reported by students in the last year, after allergy problems. We also know that this problem is fairly unique to students, since only 17 percent of students report ever being diagnosed with back pain prior to last year's survey.

So what could be causing this surge of reported back pain? It could be partly due to heavy backpacks. Then again, it could also be because the average student sits anywhere from six to 10 hours a day, compressing the spine. And most students don't get enough exercise, let alone abdominal exercise, which can help support the spine adequately. Bottom line: It's probably a combination of all of these factors and more.

In your situation, since the pain is acute and consistent, a medical evaluation is probably warranted. If you have back pain that radiates down into your legs and you have weakness, especially if it lasts more than a few days, you should see a medical provider. Olin Health Center, at (517) 353-4660, can assess and help make recommendations.

Having said that, let's look at some things you can do to help prevent back pain and/or alleviate it. The first thing to remember is to move — as in getting some physical activity. Lack of physical activity contributes to back pain. Walking helps, but you really need to incorporate stretching and some muscular strengthening into your daily routine. This will help strengthen the back by having muscles that are equipped to handle sitting for long periods of time.

Second, remember to do as Sister Mariella from my parochial school days would pronounce while waving her ruler — "Sit up straight and quit slumping." As much as I would cringe as she said this, she was right. If you find yourself slouched forward or hunched with your head tilted forward, you are a "slumper" — and this will never get you a gold star from the good sister or a pain-free back. Sitting on the middle of your butt with your hips at 90 degrees will help.

Third, you may feel you have the weight of the world on your back. But instead of lifting it with your back, lift with your legs, and avoid extensive flexing of the back as much as possible. Use your leg muscles and push up to lift, usually from a squatting position. Keep yourself as straight as possible when you lift.

Now, if you have decided your back pain does not require medical attention and you want to try to alleviate the pain, cast out the thought that bed rest is best. It may help, but what you really need to do is keep mobile. Avoid sitting for long periods of time. When you have to sit, try rolling up a towel and place it between the small of your back and the seat. Also try sleeping on your back with a pillow or rolled up towel under your knees. Over-the-counter pain relievers may help, but please know your body and read the directions carefully. Pay attention to doses and possible complications. If you want to come to Olin, we have great handouts with additional hints to help your back.

Lastly, you may want to consider investing in a backpack with wheels that you can pull instead of haul on your back. It may not solve all your problems, but it may help you "take back your back." Sister Mariella would approve.

Amen! Dr. D

Dennis Martell, Ph.D., is a coordinator of Olin Health Education and writes a weekly health column. E-mail him your questions at dennis.martell@ht.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Best remedy for back pain is movement not bed rest” on social media.