Sunday, June 16, 2024

'Respectable' media must halt gossiping

Oh no, the world must be approaching the apocalypse — attorney Howard K. Stern may not be the father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby; instead, it could be photographer Larry Birkhead. At any moment, it is sure to rain toads.

The problem with the Smith story isn't the former Playmate, but the way it's covered — and not by "Us Weekly," "Star" or "People," but other, supposedly well-respected outlets. The mainstream media now gossips like high schoolers huddled at their lockers — look at the salacious coverage of the still-unfolding Mark Foley scandal. It merits serious coverage, but why is it talked about in the same tone that should be solely reserved for news about Kevin Federline's next single?

The over-saturation of news with stories like Smith's only serves to shift our attention from the violence and corruption we should know about and, more importantly, it pushes out the stories that matter — like the war in Iraq, the fighting against the resurgent Taliban in Afghanistan and the ongoing genocide in Sudan.

Gossip certainly has a place, but not at the expense of stories that affect people's lives outside that lecherous pool that is Hollywood. The New York Post's Page Six can keep the Smith stories, and the rest of the media should quit passing notes in class and start paying attention.

Share and discuss “'Respectable' media must halt gossiping” on social media.