Monday, July 8, 2024

Tailgates about game not booze, partying

Dr. D,

Last weekend, I was tailgating on campus with friends who were older than 21, when a cop made us pour out our beer because we weren't in a "designated tailgate zone." We went back to the tennis courts, but with no place to walk, there was nothing to do but sit and drink. My friend got smashed, sick and then passed out. If we could walk around and enjoy campus, this wouldn't happen. Tailgating isn't about just the booze, it's about the people and the game! What's up?

— Tailgates Are Dead

Dear TAD,

The definition of tailgating: "To participate in a picnic that is served from the tailgate of a vehicle, as before a sports event."

Well, TAD, you got a few points right. Tailgates are supposed to be about celebrating the game and enjoying oneself, and it's far more about the game than the booze. So, considering the Irish are coming to town this Saturday, this might be a good time talk about how to "picnic" without getting "busted." I would like you to avoid any "off-the-field infractions."

Define it how you may, tailgating is a relatively new tradition of celebrating MSU football and community spirit. It has evolved over the years and in the past few, there have been several incidents of people — I will not say students, because many are not — who aren't there for the community atmosphere. As a campus, MSU is trying to help its members feel safe in their celebrations.

And just so you don't think it's only us old farts who think that way, 64 percent of students reported in the MSU Fall 2005 Celebration Study that "it is the university's responsibility to ensure that on-campus tailgates are safe, even if it means greater restrictions on alcohol use."

As for your question, let's first deal with your police encounter and timing. This Saturday's kickoff is in the evening, so tailgating officially starts on campus at 1 p.m. Even though there's a "no open container" law on campus, drinking is allowed during home games in designated tailgating areas if you are of legal drinking age. Open containers are not allowed on Munn Field, in any campus building, around Spartan Stadium and not on any campus roadways.

If you are drinking on any roadway on campus on foot, on an elephant or in a car, you could be busted or at the very least, be made to pour it out. Check out www.homefootball.msu.edu for more detailed information. The tennis courts on Wilson Road will be a student-pass lot; for more information about that, go to https://tailgate.asmsu.msu.edu.

OK, now, if you're going to drink, only you should decide how much and how quickly to do it. Most students who tailgate and drink say if you are there for the game then: 1) pace yourself, 2) know your tolerance, 3) stay with friends and 4) don't get stupid.

Check out www.olin.msu.edu for a blood-alcohol content chart to learn about how much you can drink without getting sick. It's a good idea to eat, drink water, taunt Irish fans and just get up and walk around — just not on roadways with an open container — while drinking for long periods of time.

Finally, if one of your friends passes out or loses control of bodily functions, they may have alcohol poisoning, which needs to be addressed. If you suspect this, call 911 immediately — there should be no "delay of game." Period.

Let's hope that the only people feeling "wasted" on Saturday are Irish fans who came here hoping for a victory. Go Green!

Dr. D.

Dennis Martell, Ph.D., is a coordinator of Olin Health Education.

Share and discuss “Tailgates about game not booze, partying” on social media.