Monday, July 8, 2024

Survey: Internet use hurts academics

MSU poll finds online games, social networking Web sites have impact on students' grades

Facebook, MySpace, AIM and Internet games might be good for entertainment and keeping in touch with friends. But for a few MSU students, they do more harm than good.

According to a survey conducted by the Office for Survey Research at MSU, 18.5 percent of those polled said Internet use and/or computer games have affected their academic performance.

The survey, which has been conducted every two years, asked about other factors that could affect students' academic performance, including alcohol use, health problems, relationship difficulties and personal problems.

Since 2000, Internet use and computer games have been the fastest growing self-reported problem negatively affecting students' academic performance, said Dennis Martell, health education services coordinator for Olin Health Center.

Jonathan Kermiet, health educator at Olin Health Center, said frequent Internet use has the same properties as an addiction.

"People find that they can't control their usage," Kermiet said. "They can't get off when they want to get off, and it is taking up a lot of their time. It interferes with what they would normally get done. It is a very powerful medium and is taking the place of direct social contact."

Kermiet said for students whose most significant problem is controlling their Internet use, it is an addiction. For others, it can just be poor study habits.

According to the survey, "males were almost twice as likely as females to report impairment as a result of Internet use or computer games."

Accounting sophomore Ashley Martin said every time she gets ready to do her work, she goes on Facebook first.

"I know my limits," Martin said, adding that the Internet is becoming a source of entertainment for students.

Many games are aimed at men because they include a lot of action and violence, Kermiet said. Women are not as into games as men, but more information is needed to come to any solid conclusions.

Martell said the Internet has only been around for 20 years and is still new for people and researchers.

"We don't know if it has become an addicting force," Martell said. "It is a way to procrastinate for some and for others, a way of communication. We are still studying it."

Jessica Deloach, political science pre-law freshman, said the Internet is her communication tool.

"I'd rather talk to my friends than do homework," Deloach said. "It is an easy way to communicate."

University officials require students to have a computer or laptop when attending MSU, and it is easy for students to get online, Martell said.

"Universities are hyping up their Ethernet and wireless connections," Kermiet said. "For the majority of students, it is not a problem, but it has been growing since 2000. It is becoming a more widespread problem."

John Dowell, technology literacy specialist for the Learning Resources Center, said the increase in the Internet affecting students' academic performance comes from the convenience of the Internet and because it is entertaining.

"When people are distracted by Internet gaming or other distractions, it is a choice they make," Dowell said. "The Internet is just a tool. It can be used to enhance their study habits."

Dowell recommends students make their home page a Web site that contains links to helpful Web sites.

"Students are better off with a link to Wikipedia than Facebook," Dowell said. "There is nothing wrong with Facebook, MySpace or gaming unless you make it a problem."

Going to the library and studying in the stacks without computers is a way to keep from becoming distracted by the Internet, Dowell said.

"Get old-school with yourself," Dowell said. "Study with no hardware and software — just tree-ware (books, notes and handouts)."

Having a "study buddy" is also helpful when studying without computers because students' minds tend to wander less, Dowell said. Students can also get help from specialists at the Learning Resources Center.

Olin Health Center officials have conducted focus groups on students' Internet use, and they are still trying to understand more about it, Martell said.

Last semester, Olin officials conducted the three focus groups to get a better understanding of the problem, Kermiet said. In their groups, participants came up with different recommendations for what can help solve some students' problems.

"Part of their usage problems were procrastination," Kermiet said. "The Internet made it easier to do other things than what they were supposed to be doing. Students get distracted and it 'eats up all their nonexistent free time.'"

Charlie Lieder, physiology senior, said the Internet affects his going to class when the professor posts the notes online.

"It helps in a good way," Lieder said. "I really like using Angel and e-mail. I am on Facebook, but I am not one of those crazy fans. I realize what's important, and Facebook isn't."

Students need to become aware that Internet usage can be a problem, Kermiet said. There are questions that should be asked, such as "How many hours am I spending online?" and "Am I missing out on other things because of the computer?"

"We are hoping that the counseling center can help people with these problems," Kermiet said. "They can help people find ways to curve their usage."

Share and discuss “Survey: Internet use hurts academics” on social media.