Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Any way you look at it, MSU is not worst of Big Ten

My world was rocked the other day when I checked my e-mail. As I scanned through my inbox, I came across some disturbing news that frustrated and embittered my Spartan soul to the innermost core.

The line read, "Worst of the Big Ten: Michigan State University."

Say, what?

A beautiful campus, increasingly difficult requirements for admittance, one of the best study abroad programs in the nation and the kind of fans that stand in the rain for four hours only to go home with a loss. Does that really sound like the kind of qualities that deserve being crowned the worst?

An article from www.radaronline.com ranked the worst colleges in the U.S. in eight categories from trust-fund baby to party school. The online magazine says it uses studies, rating systems and student opinion Web sites to gather data.

The description of MSU begins by calling it a "hard-drinking football school." Last time I checked this seemed to be a general trend found in every college. I have a lot of friends who attend universities of different affiliations across the country, and I'm sure you can find a majority of the college students kicking back a few drinks throughout the week.

You also have to factor in the number of MSU students. With more than 45,000 co-eds enrolled at MSU, the numbers reflect more students doing everything. There are more students going to class, more students eating on Grand River Avenue, more students packing the library to cram for their morning exams and more students heading to parties Friday night.

You also have to consider that football is not what many people think of when they hear MSU. Basketball is the sport that makes news every year, and football is a growing program that seems to experience momentary peaks throughout the season. The legends of Tom Izzo and his NCAA Tournament reputation spans farther than John L. Smith's slowly developing football program.

Our academics the Web site mocks in the "study" are nothing for students to be ashamed of. MSU was ranked No. 30 on U.S. News & World Report's Top 50 public national universities for 2007. For the past 11 years, the College of Education has owned first place for elementary and secondary education programs. We even have a nationally acclaimed nuclear physics program, ranked second to MIT this year.

The authors really tried to stick it to the Spartans when they said we don't take losing well, which results in crazy rioting throughout the streets. Did they look around the Big Ten and see both Penn State and Illinois have engaged in some post-game activities with crowds celebrating in the streets?

In 2001, 20 people were arrested among the 4,000 who took to the street in Happy Valley when rioting followed Penn State's loss to Temple during March Madness.

In the three years I have been here, I see East Lansing and MSU improving. We are getting better hangouts, and we are improving research and facilities on campus. The university pushes students to leave the state and take a business class in Rome to expand their world view. The athletics programs continually unite students and make NCAA Tournaments.

I am sick and tired of people always ragging on MSU. I stand behind the decision I made four years ago. Any way you look at it, MSU is definitely not one of the eight worst universities in the country.

Laura Collins is the sports administration reporter and wants to know what you think about this ranking. She can be reached at colli313@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Any way you look at it, MSU is not worst of Big Ten” on social media.