Saturday, May 18, 2024

Iraq war protesters focus on Israel, Lebanon

Lansing resident Charlie Nash rings a peace bell Friday afternoon on the corner of East Michigan Avenue and North Capitol Avenue during a demonstration for peace in the Middle East. Nash said the bell is a warning that a war is coming. During the protest, Nash said a patron of a nearby concert approached him and said "they would rather listen to the band than the bell and I said I'd rather have peace than war."

More than 50 people gathered outside the Capitol building Friday to protest the conflict between Lebanon and Israel.

A handful of Lansing-area residents — most of whom are members of the Greater Lansing Network Against War and Injustice, or GLNAWI — gather every week to protest America's involvement with the war in Iraq, but the group decided to shift focus Friday.

Participants wore black armbands in memory of those killed during the Israeli-Lebanon conflict.

"There are just people on both sides suffering who had nothing to do with the choice that was made to escalate this war," said Ann Francis, a GLNAWI member.

After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the group began holding demonstrations every Friday and had about 50 percent more people involved in this protest than they normally do, Francis said.

"We've got to keep working and keep reaching out," Francis said to the group.

Cars drove by the protest, drivers blaring their horns in support of the group's efforts.

"Honks today are really, really loud," protester John Masterson said. "This is something everyone's paying attention to."

Masterson said the group will continue to take a stand in observance of the Israeli-Lebanon conflict until the end of the month or until the fighting stops.

Josh Kaplan, a member of Spartans for Israel, said he agrees with the U.S. decision to not become too involved in the conflict.

"We're letting Israel take care of what they need to," he said. "The U.S. can understand better than anybody how to deal with terrorists."

The political theory and constitutional democracy junior added that the more countries that get involved in the conflict, the more muddled the fighting and politics become.

A petition was circulated through the group of protesters that called for work toward an immediate cease-fire. The petition, addressed to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, also asked for an ending of arms support to either side of the conflict by the U.S.

Shrikumar Poddar, a member of GLNAWI, said the group demands an end to the shipment of arms to all sides of the conflict. He said the war is also affecting the U.S.

"It's not making our homeland any safer," Poddar said. "It makes people angry. Out of anger comes terrorism and violence. Violence is not a way to peace. Peace is a way to peace."

As an end to the afternoon's protest, the group gathered in a circle, held hands and made closing remarks.

Kaplan said the United States' ties with Israel outlive this conflict, and as long as the country is fighting against the terror-group Hezbollah, U.S. support is legitimate.

"They share intelligence, and they're both fighting the war on terrorism," he said. "This agreement between Israel and the U.S. is a deal that was made long before this event ever happened."

Charlie Nash, a Lansing resident who regularly takes part in the protests, said the protesters plan to continue the weekly visits to the Capitol.

"We're here every Friday," he said. "Whether it's rain or shine, or snowing or sunny. We're here. We're not going to go away. It's really important that someone stand up."

Nash said wars can't bring peace.

"There's enough wars to go around. They're so stupid. It's all ridiculous," Nash said. "You would think that if one war didn't solve it, no wars would solve it."

Share and discuss “Iraq war protesters focus on Israel, Lebanon” on social media.