Monday, July 8, 2024

Can you package a workout?

Nutrition, fitness professionals investigate risks, benefits of protein, creatine, sports drinks

Petersen works out doing an incline dumbbell fly June 28 at Powerhouse Gym, 435 E. Grand River Ave., in East Lansing. During his workouts, Petersen said he concentrates on two muscle groups for each session. "I train each muscle group once a week so there is optimal recovery time between workouts,"Petersen said.

A whirlwind of products surround the fitness world, boasting labels that claim to boost energy and muscle mass or shrink waistlines. Workout supplements are sought in powder, liquid and solid form, and their effectiveness is disputed among health professionals and athletes.

Out of the hundreds of supplements available, some local fitness and nutrition experts weighed in on some of the most popular.

Protein

Sought to bulk muscles or slim waists, protein has been a fast-growing fad for workout diets.

While some health professionals believe protein shakes and bars have their benefits, they also agree that people misconstrue how much to eat and when to consume them.

"The problem we're having in the U.S., I believe, is that we're eating way too much protein in that we think protein is the magic wand," said Chris Johnson, author of "Meal Patterning" and director of health and wellness at the Michigan Athletic Club, 2900 Hannah Blvd.

Since protein is something the body needs already, a shake or bar containing it can be beneficial, Johnson said.

But Ronda Bokrama nutritionist at Olin Health Center, sees no need for the extra protein, despite all the hype.

"People overeat protein," she said. "It's not that magic of a food. You need it, but you need a lot of other things too."

Johnson said people should aim for a "make it your own" smoothie containing a balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats, rather than a pure protein shake.

But there are several ways people may take using protein to the extreme. Consuming too much protein can cause dehydration.

Johnson recommends half a gram of protein per pound of body weight, but marketing junior Steve Petersen recommends using about one gram of protein per pound of body weight.

Petersen, who is also a fitness consultant at Powerhouse Gym, 435 E. Grand River Ave., said eating too much protein is the same as overeating.

"People will think protein will bulk you up, but it's the same as eating eggs and chicken, just a more concentrated form," he said.

There are many different kinds of protein, and finding one with a balance of carbohydrates and fats without extra hormones and antibiotics is key, Johnson said.

Johnson said a common misconception is that bars with the most protein are the most beneficial. In reality, carbohydrates and fats are essential, in addition to protein, he said, adding that the easiest way to determine if a bar is nutritional is by the number of ingredients. The fewer number of ingredients, the healthier foods generally are.

Protein comes in a variety of forms. Here are some tips:

• Protein shakes and bars are intended to replace a meal, not be an addition to it.

• Protein is not a magic supplement that will fulfill all of your body's needs — you should always rely on whole foods for most of your body's nutrition.

• Consuming too much protein can be detrimental to your health and cause dehydration.

• Protein should not be the only thing your body depends on for energy — it needs carbohydrates and fats, as well.

Creatine

Creatine is another supplement that is growing in popularity and is usually used in powder form taken before or after workouts. Creatine is a source of Adenosine Tri-Phosphate, or ATP— energy the body acquires from cells during vigorous activity.

ATP is naturally produced by the body, and taking more creatine is said to boost energy during exercise.

Petersen said creatine can be very beneficial when combined with a protein shake or carbohydrate source before and after a workout.

But both Johnson and Bokram warn against using creatine, no matter how active an athlete is.

Johnson said omega-3 fatty acids have more power in making the body stronger than creatine. He said it is popular with younger males involved with body building, but he would never recommend it as a health and fitness professional.

Bokram said most supplements are randomly tested, but not necessarily by the Food and Drug Administration. She said the best bet is to consume "real food."

"Things that you think enhance your performance — they don't really have to be real," Bokram said. "They just have to make you feel enhanced."

Before taking creatine, keep these tips in mind.

• Too much creatine can cause cramping and discomfort.

• The body produces creatine naturally, so taking creatine would increase the levels in your blood.

• Creatine, as well as other powdered supplements, are not always tested.

Sports Drinks

Packed with electrolytes and carbohydrates, the sports drink is promoted to replenish the body during or after strenuous workouts.

Sports drinks are beneficial for preventing dehydration and providing energy for the body, Bokram said. It is best utilized while running or during stop-and-go sports, she said.

"It can keep you from using all your energy while you're working," she said.

Having a sports drink before or during a workout is normal, Petersen said.

He said it can be beneficial in the time surrounding a workout but detrimental if just consumed throughout the day.

Particular sports drinks, especially Gatorade, contain other ingredients that Johnson said are not beneficial.

High fructose corn syrup, sucrose syrup or glucose-fructose syrup, all forms of sugar, appear in some of the drinks. Consuming too much of these sugars outweighs any good they could otherwise do, Johnson said.

The science of sports drinks:

• Consuming sports drinks when you are not doing physical activity can just add calories.

• Too much sugar in a drink can cause more harm than good, so check the label.

Share and discuss “Can you package a workout?” on social media.