Monday, July 8, 2024

Local health officials promote free HIV testing

Go get tested.

It's free, and it will only take a few minutes.

That's what health experts from around the area are saying as Tuesday's National HIV Testing Day approaches.

Both Olin Health Center on MSU's campus and the Lansing Area AIDS Network, 913 W. Holmes Road in Lansing, will offer free anonymous HIV testing that day.

If a person is sexually active — meaning they engage in oral, anal or vaginal intercourse — getting tested is the only way to ensure sex is safe, said Dennis Martell, an MSU health educator.

"If you've ever had any unprotected sex, or you have any risk factors, you need to do yourself a favor and get tested," Martell said. "Not knowing is not all right. You need to know for your family and partners."

Getting tested is not only a good idea, but also a way to keep you safe, said Ashley Alwood, a human biology senior.

"I give blood, so I am always aware," she said.

It's important to diagnose HIV early so a person can begin to receive medical care, Martell said.

"There have been so many advancements in the treatments of HIV," he said. "About 23 percent of MSU students have been tested; that's admirable. But about 75 percent of MSU students are sexually active."

Getting tested is easy, said Andre Truss, a prevention supervisor at the Lansing Area AIDS Network.

"It's free and anonymous," Truss said. "We don't take any names or personal information. We take a cotton swab and scrape the inside of a cheek. It's painless and takes a week to return. The labs are a little flooded, so it might take two weeks for results to get back."

People who have contracted HIV or AIDS don't always show symptoms of the disease, so everyone should be tested, Truss said.

"It's important that people know their state," he said. "If you don't know your state, you can't protect yourself or others, and that's important."

HIV and AIDS are most commonly transferred through intercourse, Martell said.

"You can get it from semen or vaginal secretions," he said. "It's also transferred through the sharing of needles. But usually, the most common way is through unprotected fluid transfer."

Individuals who engage in anal sex have a greater chance of contracting the disease because the anal tissues are prone to tearing, Martell said. The rate of contracting HIV or AIDS from oral sex is lower than that of vaginal or anal penetration, he added.

Being aware of whether or not you are an HIV or AIDS carrier is a personal health responsibility, Alwood said.

"People should do it if they have not had the chance to get out and get tested before," she said.

Staff writer Rebecca McNulty contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Local health officials promote free HIV testing” on social media.