Sword fighting club might be in MSU's future

Kellogg Community College student Matt Bernard, left, holds a sword made of PVC pipe and other plumbing materials to the neck of Kalamazoo resident Bob Thompson, right, Saturday in Adams field, next to the Music Building. Bernard and Thompson participated in a demonstration to increase interest in the formation of an MSU swordsmanship club. The event was hosted by the Aegis Academy of Swordsmanship based in Pinckney.

Dueling with self-made and duct-taped swords, the Aegis Sword Academy's sword fighting demonstration Saturday afternoon wasn't exactly reminiscent of "Pirates of the Caribbean."

But it was as close as one could get on the sunny lawn of IM Sports-Circle.

"I was walking by and I saw someone get slashed and fall over, so I came up to see what it was," said Nate Morsches, a German and Spanish freshman. "It reminds me of something Napoleon Dynamite would do."

The demonstration attracted nearly 30 viewers and raised awareness about a sword fighting club that Aegis student Tracy Worcester, a '97 MSU graduate who is currently a physiology senior, is creating next fall.

If enough people are interested, Worcester would like instructors from Aegis, which is located in Pinckney, to train club members at MSU. The cost of membership would depend on the level of funding from Student Services. Membership could be free.

"Students on campus are living in their heads so much that having something they can do that's physical and fun helps them to be better students," Worcester said.

Aegis' students said sword fighting is a great activity for reasons beyond the actual fight.

"It is an entire workout," instructor and student Caryn Malokofsky said. "You work out both your mind and your body. It helps people develop self-esteem and self-confidence."

Above all, sword fighting is an enjoyable activity, Worcester said.

She said most people who have seen the fight between Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in "Pirates of the Caribbean" says they want to be able to do that.

"They say, 'that's cool' or, 'that's sexy,'" Worcester said. "When it all boils down, it's just fun."

Share and discuss “Sword fighting club might be in MSU's future” on social media.