Broaden your film rental horizons; try a foreign flick

It's a rainy Saturday afternoon and you're going to rent a movie. How do you decide what to select?

If you always scan the new releases until you find something you haven't seen yet, you're probably missing out. If you always go to Blockbuster, you're probably missing out. If you tend to only watch films with big name actors, that are in English, made in the last five years and in color — you're totally missing out.

There are scores of films that would be loved by all audiences that rarely, if ever, get plucked from the shelves for rental. If you want to be dazzled by a film, not merely entertained, try checking out some different types and genres.

To begin broadening your cinematic horizons you're going to need to pass by the big chain stores. While you might be able to find some interesting films, they tend to be really mainstream. Check out Video To Go, 300 N. Clippert St. in Lansing. The store has a large selection of foreign and independent films. Give these films a chance. Another good place to look for rare movies is the Main Library on campus — you can even check films out for free.

Try to watch an old movie made in black and white, a foreign film and a genre you have written off as uninteresting. When you broaden your film horizons you will be able to appreciate a good film more, and you'll realize how much potential enjoyment movies really have to offer. You'll probably even start to like movies more — I know I did.

When I was in high school, I was really limited. The unfortunate thing was that I didn't even realize how many movies I was cutting out because I only paid attention to the films that came to our local cinema. Anything limited release or independent didn't even cross my radar. This probably explains why I didn't even think about the fact that other countries make movies. It's really embarrassing.

Toward the end of my high school career and the beginning of college I had a sort of epiphany. Suddenly, I discovered there was a world of cinema beyond the mainstream. I started watching a lot of movies, and the more I watched, the more I began to admire filmmakers. Movies became a form of entertainment, but also an opportunity to learn about other cultures and pastimes. They were poignant and moving. All my former rules about which movies I liked and didn't like started to melt away.

I watched the Japanese film "Ying xiong" or "Hero." It has subtitles, and it's a kung fu movie — Jet Li is one of the stars. That's two strikes against my former system for evaluating films I would watch. Against all the odds, I ended up loving it. Reading subtitles didn't take away from the experience of the film at all. "Hero" was also a perfect example of how martial arts can add to the cinematic quality of a film and really be more like art or dancing than violence.

After "Hero" I was feeling more enthusiastic about Japanese films so I gave another former no-no genre a chance and rented the anime movie "Akira." The film shattered any stereotypes I harbored about the genre. It was very adult and had a smart, complicated plot. It was political and relevant to any culture.

Thus began my journey into the land of foreign films. I started seeking out Indian and European pieces. It was refreshing to see the different approaches each culture took to various genres and topics. I fell in love.

My freshman year in college, I happened to enroll in some classes that used a lot of films in their curricula. This is when I was first introduced to old black-and-white American films. I'd heard the names of the early movie stars and influential films, but had never given much thought to them. Indeed, I tended to think anything made so long ago would no longer be relevant to today's world. I couldn't have been more wrong.

After a few of my rules about good and bad movies were proven wrong, I threw away my guidelines completely. Now I'll give any movie a chance and more often than not, I've been pleasantly surprised by what new genres and styles have to offer.

Alessa Thomas is the State News film reporter. Contact her at thoma470@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Broaden your film rental horizons; try a foreign flick” on social media.