Friday, May 3, 2024

'HMS Pinafore' operetta misses the boat for college students

College students might recognize a reference to Gilbert and Sullivan's 127-year-old operetta "HMS Pinafore" in "Family Guy" or "The Simpsons." But they wouldn't connect with the music or the outdated prim-and-proper aura of the show — "What, never? Well, hardly ever!"

The show, which came to the Wharton Center on Friday, is full of catchy tunes — the type that, if whistled, would irritate anyone within earshot. The performers were lively and had pleasant voices. The show is light, and it's kind of fun with the interjected humorous remarks. But when wrapped up and shipped to stage, the package just doesn't appeal to a college crowd.

The songs in the operetta tell primarily of love and social standing. The theme of love especially is universal, but the romance between Ralph, a common sailor, and Josephine, the captain's daughter, was not really engaging.

The more interesting rocky romance in the operetta is the one between Buttercup, who sings the well known ditty, "I'm Called Little Buttercup." We're introduced to Buttercup as she is selling her wares to the sailors aboard the ship. She's the matronly figure aboard who falls for the captain.

The twists occur in the second act when secrets are revealed and social order is turned topsy-turvy. Songs such as "When I Was A Lad" showed hypocrisy in the social system.

Sir Joseph, the ruler of the Queen's navy, tells of his rise to the top. He's downing shots through the song and can hardly stand straight when he first boards the ship. The irony is explained in his song:

"And that junior partnership, I ween/Was the only ship that I ever had seen/But that kind of ship so suited me/That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!… I grew so rich that I was sent/By a pocket borough into Parliament/I always voted at my party's call/And I never thought of thinking for myself at all/I thought so little, they rewarded me/By making me the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!"

The show criticized the government — college viewers can relate to that. It spoke of love — again, college students can relate. So what was missing? Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? Though the music in the operetta was pretty rocking, something lacked. That certain something was a story that wasn't entirely fanciful and had a unique element of interest. Maybe that element was pirates. Now how about Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance?"

Share and discuss “'HMS Pinafore' operetta misses the boat for college students” on social media.