Monday, July 8, 2024

Right type of bike essential for exercise, pleasure riding

Even though the weather is still a little bit nippy, people are itching to wake from their winter hibernation and get outside.

This is a great time of year to return to your childhood memories by hopping on a bike and whizzing around campus like it's the coolest thing since Nintendo.

Olin Health Center Health Educator Jon Kermiet said biking is a great way for people who have joint-related problems in their knees or back to avoid impact that running can cause.

Although riding a bike puts less stress on ligaments, you need to push yourself. Kermiet suggests peddling faster or taking a trip off-roading to get your heart rate above resting rate in order to burn the same amount of calories as running or fast-paced walking.

Don't have a bike yet? That's OK, here's where you can start.

Velocipede Peddler owner Mark Sanderson said a buyer should consider two important things when buying a bike — how the bike is going to be used and finding one that fits you well.

There are four main types of bikes — mountain, road, hybrid and comfort.

Mountain bikes are meant to be used for off-roading and dirt trails and have fat, knobby tires.

Road bikes are the more traditional, Lance Armstrong-style racing bike, formerly known as ten-speeds. They are used for longer rides and racing.

A hybrid is a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike with skinnier tires than a mountain bike but not as narrow as a road bike. It is meant more for pavement but can be used on hard-packed dirt trails.

A comfort bike is similar to a mountain bike but you sit up higher, in essence, more comfortable.

The River Trail leading out to Lansing, Birchfield Park in Ingham County and Rose Lake Wildlife Research Area in Bath Township are three of the best and closest bike paths and trail rides.

Your fit should be made based on the bike frame and a test ride. Most department stores like Meijer sell bike frames designed for the average person, meaning if you are short or tall, you are more likely to buy a bike that doesn't fit your body size.

"It's not just a matter of raising the seat," Sanderson said. "It deals with all components of the bike — handle bars, seat, width and height of the bike."

Department stores, he added, charge extra for assembling the bike and don't take the time to properly put the bike together.

Specialized assembly done at a bike shop takes longer but also adjusts the bike so the bearings are smooth and shifts well, he said. An employee at a department store can put together a bike in 15 minutes but it won't last as long, he added.

For women, bikes are designed for our smaller shoulders and hands by making the handle bars narrower and the brakes easier to reach.

Sanderson said the most popular bike he sells to students is the $250 Trek 820 mountain bike, which students use mostly for transportation around town.

Melanie Thomas is the State News health reporter. She writes about your body every Thursday in the lowdown. Reach her at thoma450@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Right type of bike essential for exercise, pleasure riding” on social media.