Sunday, October 6, 2024

GEU members hold holiday food drive

Collection aims to aid MSU students

For some MSU students, the theme of this holiday season is "students helping students."

The Graduate Employees Union, or GEU, began a food drive at the start of November for the MSU Student Food Bank. All donations go to other students.

The drive will continue through next week.

Boxes have been set up in different locations across campus and in the GEU office at 420 Albert Ave. for students to drop off non-perishable food items and toiletries.

The MSU Student Food Bank serves about 500 students per month by providing them with canned vegetables and fruits, soup, rice, pasta, proteins such as peanut butter and one-dish meals such as macaroni and cheese.

Any enrolled student without a meal plan is eligible to receive food. An MSU student would have to bring his or her student ID and proof of current enrollment to receive food. The last distribution date of this semester is Dec. 7 in room 151 of the Olin Health Center, but more will be offered next semester

Ana Holguin, GEU's information officer, said the MSU Student Food Bank is the only food bank run by students for students.

MSU Student Food Bank Director Kristin Moretto said the food bank has been assisting students for about 13 years, and it was started by a group of graduate students.

"Most of our clients just need help with the expenses of being a student," said Moretto, a student affairs graduate student.

Microbiology senior Michael Marrone said the food bank has been "a real blessing" for him as he waited for his goods.

"You see all kinds of students in here," Marrone said. "This is a lot of help. I lost my job and my car died on me. My girlfriend is a substitute teacher, but that is still not enough.

"This is one of the best (drives) I've ever seen."

Holguin said her motive for the drive came from her own personal experiences.

"It is a pretty hard job trying to be a student and a teacher," Holguin said. "When you have children it is especially hard. I know groceries can get expensive because I only have myself to support, and I struggle."

Holguin said the drive started off slowly.

"After we sent out e-mails and to different listservs, it picked up," Holguin said. "The boxes have been filling up since the word got out."

Moretto said most of their food is purchased from the American Red Cross.

"It is always great to get donations, especially this time of year," Moretto said. "Financial donations are especially helpful."

GEU officials also are holding a holiday party for children from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 11 at the GEU office.

They are collecting donated toys to give away, as well as gift cards for parents to help out with their holiday shopping.

"It is going to have face painting, games, sundae stations and more," Holguin said. "We did it last year and we are trying to make it an annual event."

Holguin said people often don't know about everything GEU does.

"A lot of people think of us as just activists that fight for wages and things like that," Holguin said. "But we do care about the community and do programs for the community. This is just one example of what we do."

Share and discuss “GEU members hold holiday food drive” on social media.